We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Erskine Bridge Hotel- anyone ever been there??

Alberta,Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Erskine Bridge Hotel- anyone ever been there??

We are flying to Glasgow in May/05 and are thinking of staying at this hotel. Has anyone out there ever stayed at this hotel? If so, what did you think? Was it economical? and good value for the money? We will be travelling with our 5 yr old son, so want a place that can offer family fun as well!! Any other hotel suggestions for a first visit to Scotland would be appreciated!!! We will be there for 3 weeks(from Canada) and want to book a hotel for the first few nights in advance. We are on a budget, but this trip is our 10th anniversary gift to ourselves so we want to make the most of it without breaking the bank!!! Thanks in advance!!!

Alberta,Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Erskine Bridge Hotel- anyone ever been there??

Hello everyone!

I checked our plane tickets, and it only says Glasgow Airport.I have read that one of the airports is under construction-is this true? and if so, which one is it? I will have to contact the airline and find out for sure where we are flying into because from the replies to my posts, it will make a great difference in where we will get a hotel! What part of the city is the Glasgow airport close to ,as opposed to the Prestwick/Glasglow airport? Look forward to hearing from everone!! Thanks again.

Dumbarton,Scotland
Level Contributor
213 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Erskine Bridge Hotel- anyone ever been there??

Hi Guys,

If your tickets give the airport code as GLA then you are flying into Glasgow International Airport. If it say PIK then you are flying into Prestwick. This is highly unlikely as most of the Canadian carriers use Glasgow. Who are you flying with? Zoom, Globespan, Air Canada, Air Transaat and Virgin etc all use Glasgow.

IF you want to visit castles and Culloden and the various lochs a car would be your best bet. I would try and organise an itinery to include stops here and there along the way. To cut down on costs use B&Bs instead of hotels as these tend to be cheaper.

The suggestions about staying outwith the city centre are very good. You can use my hometown Dumbarton (it`s even got a castle. Though not a very big one) and go into Glasgow by train or bus 20-30 mins.

Make up a list of places you really want to see and I will try to come up with a suggested travel plan as a lot of attractions are in different parts of the country eg Loch Lomond (5 mins from Dumbarton) is in west central Scotland whereas Culloden is just outside Inverness in the north east. You can drive from Dumbarton to Inverness in about three and a half hours. There are some nice stop offs on the way like Pitlochry and Aviemore.

So let me know what you want to do And I will see what I can come up with.

For our trip we are going to San Francisco for 2 days then a 12 night cruise to Alaska followed by another 8 days in San Francisco. We have been to Toronto but will be looking to visit other places in Canada in the future and Alberta is definately on the list.

Regards,

Gordy Pordy.

Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Erskine Bridge Hotel- anyone ever been there??

Glasgow Airport (GLA), also known as Glasgow International Airport, is located in Paisley, Renfrewshire; this is 9 miles from Glasgow City Centre. There is a CityLink coach service into Glasgow, or a local bus to Paisley Gilmour Street Station for the train.

http://www.baa.co.uk/main/airports/glasgow/

www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi…

citylink.co.uk/images/…airportxmas.pdf

Prestwick Airport (PIK), also known as Glasgow Prestwick International Airport, is located in Prestwick, South Ayrshire; this is 32 miles from Glasgow City Centre. There is a direct rail link to Glasgow City Centre.

http://www.gpia.co.uk/

www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi…

firstgroup.com/scotrail/…route18.pdf

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,763 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Erskine Bridge Hotel- anyone ever been there??

Hi Gordy,

Thanks for your post about the Glasgow airports. Many many years ago we stopped at Prestwick en route to Canada from Gatwick. The plane had been badly delayed and the fumes from the Scots who boarded carried us half way across the Atlantic!

Have a great time in SF. Wish I was going back. The charming lady who suggested The Golden Gate Park is right. You could spend all week there. Very quiet when we were there in October 2003. Don't miss The Japanese Garden.

Are you planning any day trips out of the city? Carmel and Monterey are beautiful and The Winchester Mystery House in San Jose well... different!

Cheers and l hope we can help our Alberta friend.

Adam C

adamhornets@yahoo.com

Alberta,Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Erskine Bridge Hotel- anyone ever been there??

Hi everyone!

We start out flying Air Canada to Toronto and then to London. From there we get British Midland from Heathrow to Glasgow.I looked for the codes you mentioned about the airports but only find Glasgow Airport. This is getting frustrating! I will have to contact Air Canada and get specifics! (This means about an hour or more of being on hold while being trasferred from one department to the next!) . Yippeee!! I finally found a decent map of Scotland!!! Have found both airports on this map and have looked up all the towns everyone has mentioned and have been looking at hotel reviews as well. Wow- this is half my days on the net! Will post again when I contact the airline.

Gordy-a cruise-wow!! Have been to San Diego and have done the Disney thing, but have never been to San Francisco. The Alaska cruise will be awesome! Will you be stopping in Vancouver at all? B.C. (British Columbia) has a beautiful coastline, really rough and wild. I wonder if Alaska is the same? (I know its not known for its beaches! lol) We have talked of driving to Alaska one summer, as my husband loves to fish so we would take our camper and camp and fish our way north! The mosquitos get really huge in northern Alberta, I'd hate to see the size of them in Alaska!!!

Vancouver is a beautiful city-alot of TV series' and movies are shot there! If you visit Canada again I'd fly to Vancouver first, tour there, then do the drive through the mountains and take in Lake Louise and Banff, etc. Come into Alberta and most people try to time their visit to take in the big Clagary Stampede rodeo.(though its probably also the busiest tourist season in Alberta as well!). Lots to do and see on that drive, so

budget lots of time! Well enough about Canada-I want to hear about Scotland!!! Bye for now.

Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Erskine Bridge Hotel- anyone ever been there??

bmi fly from Heathrow to Glasgow Airport (GLA): flybmi.com/bmi/…

Dumbarton,Scotland
Level Contributor
213 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Erskine Bridge Hotel- anyone ever been there??

Hi guys,

If you are flying up from Heathrow you will be flying into Glasgow not Prestwick. Do you want to stay in the city centre or have you decided to tour? If you are hiring a car and touring don`t stay in the city centre as driving and parking may be difficult if you are also adapting to driving on a different side of the road. If you are touring what time do you arrive in Glasgow? Do you want to spend a few days visiting Glasgow? If you do I would either base myself out of town , b& B or hotel in Dumbarton , and visit "The Toon" on the train unless you can find a hotel with adequate parking in the city. Like I said before if you let me know what things and places you want to see I will look into hotels, websites tourist info etc for you. Bear in mind when budgeting and picking your car, petrol is a lot dearer here than in Canada roughly 9-10 dollars a gallon.

We will be spending a day in Vancouver on our return leg of the cruise and a day in Victoria and Buschart Gardens.

I would love to see the "Stampede" and our original plan for our anniversary was to fly to Vancouver, cross the Rockies and finish in Toronto. Do you live anywhere near Jasper? We feel fated to visit there someday. We had been looking a Jasper when we put on a John Denver song (my wife`s a big fan) which began with the line "Up in a meadow in Jasper, Alberta" and we thought "that`s God trying to tell us something"

It might take us to our golden anniversary but we will get there..

Start a new post with your "Holiday Wishlist" and I`m sure your fellow posters will come up with lots of suggestions.

ATB

Gordy.