We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Commonwealth Games accommodation

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southampton, UK
Level Contributor
110 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Commonwealth Games accommodation

I know there have been numerous other posts on this topic already so will try to limit to just a couple of questions...

I'm hoping to come up to the Games from 29-31 July - have athletics tickets for the Tue evening in Hampden Park (finishing at 2230) and hoping to get some netball tickets for the Wed evening (1700-2130) (SECC), will be flying up from Southampton so will be limited to public transport.

Had a look at places in Glasgow and not had any success finding anything under £250 (apart from dorm bed which not too keen on ) - looking for somewhere up to around £120 per night at most.

I have seen a few suggestions for places to stay outside and getting train in/ back - are there any more obvious areas to choose based on the sports/ timings I am looking at? My mum/ brother (who I am going with on Tuesday) already have a room booked in a hotel at the airport that evening (which is now full) - unless staying near them I will be travelling as a lone female so keen to stay in safer areas.

Thanks for your help!

11. Re: Commonwealth Games accommodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 pm, February 12, 2014
Ayrshire, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Commonwealth Games accommodation

For anyone still looking for accommodation I suggest you look on Gumtree under Glasgow - Houses and Flats / Rental / Holiday Rental. I have learned that Gumtree have had to remove adverts for accommodation that use the word "Commonwealth" as it breaches Intellectual Property Rights. So you will find accommodation there, listed without using the word "Commonwealth" in the headings. See - Summer Games, The Games etc.

Hope this information helps you get fixed up, like lucky me - I can't wait!

Edited: 6:14 pm, April 28, 2014
glasgow
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Commonwealth Games accommodation

you can currently get 2 nights at the normandy hotel for £270 in total on expedia, this is very close to the airport so would be able to share a taxi back with your mum and brother, public transport to the airport at that time of night im unsure of but this would enable you to be dropped off in a private hire car which i imagine would cost no more than £15-20 from hampden (dont get a hackey cab as this incurs a boundary charge as outside glasgow, usually fare and a third, i live not far from hotel and its usually £20 from city centre of glasgow). I know £270 is slightly over budget, but if you were to book with expedia, go through quidco.com who are currently giving 10% cash back with hotel bookings, this would only put you £3 over budget :) xx

Edited: 1:37 am, April 29, 2014
glasgow
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Commonwealth Games accommodation

just noticed this post is from OCT 2013 you prob have something booked by now!

15. Re: Commonwealth Games accommodation

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 pm, May 14, 2014
16. Re: Commonwealth Games accommodation

Removed on: 4:35 pm, May 14, 2014
17. Re: Commonwealth Games accommodation

Removed on: 4:35 pm, May 27, 2014
18. Re: Commonwealth Games accommodation

Removed on: 11:35 am, June 12, 2014
glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,591 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Commonwealth Games accommodation

As reported on BBC Scotland News this morning Police Scotland have advised visitors to check their accomadation due to a spate of frauds concerning fake flats available through the Internet including well known sites such as Expedia etc.

Thankfully on here most private offers have been deleted due to strict guidelines but caution is required when dealing with this especially if desperation starts to kick in.

Glasgow, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Commonwealth Games accommodation

If you haven't ready got booked up you can find accommodation for the Games on https://www.airbnb.co.uk