We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glasgow to Edinburgh.

Maine
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Glasgow to Edinburgh.

I am staying at the Hotel Indigo in Glasgow and want to go to Edinburgh sometime mid-afternoon on Saturday November 9. Should I buy my tickets in advance? I am staying at the Holiday Inn Express on Cowgate there. Would like something relatively convenient. I just don't want to be stuck if I don't buy my tickets in advance.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,223 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glasgow to Edinburgh.

No need to book in advance for the frequent rail service from Glasgow Queen Street to Edinburgh Waverley. Off Peak single fare is £12.50; check www.nationalrail.co.uk for train times on 9 November.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,899 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glasgow to Edinburgh.

There are no advance discounts for this route and trains leave every 15 minutes so you wont get stuck. Just buy your tickets at the station. Make sure you take the fast train via Falkirk High which will get you to Edinburgh in around 50 minutes.

You can also take the Citylink coach which is cheaper but will take longer.

Maine
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glasgow to Edinburgh.

so the price will always be £12.50 from glasgow to edinburgh? I saw a few for £8 that day. is there a difference?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,899 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glasgow to Edinburgh.

Those are very infrequent long distance trains which leave from Glasgow Central. Yes you can save GBP4,50 by booking ahead and waiting for that particular train.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
11,042 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glasgow to Edinburgh.

And those few trains from Central take around 25 mins longer!!

Trust us, the Queen St-Waverley route is always the one to take even for an extra 4 quid.

www.scotrail.co.uk

Maine
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glasgow to Edinburgh.

thank you, I would have booked that otherwise! I'll just wait until the day of my travel to buy the tickets . Price won't change right?

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
11,042 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glasgow to Edinburgh.

Fare increases are usually always in January.

Maine
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Glasgow to Edinburgh.

Thank you!! So glad I checked this forum... I would have definitely prebooked a train from Glasgow central. I am glad I have some freedom with when I head over

Scotand, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Glasgow to Edinburgh.

hi would you consider travel by coach with megabus. It's only £8 return. Regardless of time and day.

Or £4 single!

Edited: 11:01 am, October 17, 2013
Maine
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Glasgow to Edinburgh.

Wow, what is the difference? Where do they pick you up? anyone else use the bus instead?