We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus to Aberdeen

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Bus to Aberdeen

I am checking on buses to Aberdeen, in advance of our trip next Spring, as that is where we are spending first few days. I have gathered the airport bus will take us to Buchanan St where we get the Aberdeen bus. My question is, when I l check the schedules, there seem to be several options. There is Megabus, Citylink, Parks of Hamilton ? City link gold. Which one do you take? they all seem to be the same price around £58 for two Is there a non-stop bus does anyone know? And would it be necessary to book this before we come. Thanks for your help.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,308 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus to Aberdeen

You are trying to book/look way too early. Off peak advance singles on the train are only £11. Bus tickets are from £6,50 so no way should you pay £58.

Citylink Gold is a premier service so around £20 with free wi-fi, drinks etc.

Book about 2 months prior and you will get cheap fares from £1

Why on earth you want to go to Aberdeen though is beyond me.

Edited: 4:19 pm, September 17, 2013
Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus to Aberdeen

citylink.co.uk/timetables/…Gla2Aber.pdf

You will see all the companies you mention on the Scottish Citylink site.They all work together.

For trains see the Scotrail site.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus to Aberdeen

Thanks, just thought I would take a look and check it out, like to be prepared :) but will wait at least until after the New year. LOL We are visiting with friends in Aberdeen actually near Peterhead for our first few days. What's wrong with Aberdeen?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus to Aberdeen

Thanks Ken, that's the site I was on, was wondering why all the different companies, so is it the luck of the draw which company you get, depending on the time I guess?

Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus to Aberdeen

Megabus is run by stagecoach the rest are citylink franchise, that's why you are seeing poh I would use the train, if its only £11 then that's a deal, if the train was £30 and the bus £1 I would still go by train, buses go to places like stirling, Perth, Dundee, and many other places before it gets to Aberdeen, the train is much better, no traffic jams etc, no I don't work for scotrail, lol

Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus to Aberdeen

I also think the airport bus goes right past queen st station, that's where you will leave from going to Aberdeen

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,181 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus to Aberdeen

Good advice above. Train is a much better way to go, IMO.

Stonehaven, United...
Level Contributor
329 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus to Aberdeen

"Why on earth you want to go to Aberdeen though is beyond me."

Bit harsh!

There's nothing wrong with Aberdeen really. Yeah, it's not particularly set up for tourists, but if you do your research there is plenty to do, and the countryside round here is lovely.

And you know, on the one day that it's sunny, it's not quite so grey looking!

P.S Another vote for the train - unless you get a good deal on the bus I suppose. But the train is quicker, comfier and easier.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,851 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus to Aberdeen

Another vote for the train, but it depends on your budget, but if we are only talking a few pounds more per person then the train aces it.

As said book around 8-10 weeks in advance for the best fares.

www.scotrail.co.uk for times and prices.

The #500 airport bus drops you off at Queen St Stn prior to going up to the Bus Stn.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus to Aberdeen

Thanks everyone! I will definitely look into the train as well. Really looking forward to this, a special anniversary trip for hubby and I. Spending time in Northern Ireland, tracing ancestors, and also Islay, then a week in Glasgow, so will probably have more questions later. Planning is half the fun.