We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 hour Glasgow Layover in September

Montana
Level Contributor
35 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
4 hour Glasgow Layover in September

I've tried to find a similar topic in the forums already but haven't located one - please refer me to it if I've missed it. My husband and I will be flying from Gatwick to Kirkwall on a Saturday early in September. I'm assuming we'll need to be back at the airport an hour before takeoff so it leaves about 3 hours left to see the city. Not nearly enough time to do much but grab lunch and walk about. But at least we'll get to visit briefly! The layover is from about 9:55am to 2pm.

Any suggestions as to what to do with the brief time we have? I think that there is a bus that could take us to the city center. We do have National Trust passes with which we could visit the Tenement House or Pollock House. But I am open to other ideas too. Thank you!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 hour Glasgow Layover in September

I'm assuming we'll need to be back at the airport an hour before takeoff so it leaves about 3 hours left to see the city

========

How do you get to that figure ?

From the three hours, which is cutting it pretty tight and assumes no contingency for traffic jams or other issues getting back, nor unexpected long security queues, then subtract time to get off plane, time to get luggage if its not being sent through, taxi ride to city (you weren't planning to take a bus when you are pushed on time were you?) and time to get back. Allowing 30 minutes each way in a taxi, and another thirty minutes to get off the plane and sort stuff out,gives you about 90 minutes.

Fair enough if you want to do that, not sure I would just for a different place to each lunch.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,859 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 hour Glasgow Layover in September

Hi, first of all check with your airline about the minimum check in time, is it 1hour for sure or more likely 90 mins? If the latter then you are down to 3 and a half hours!

The bus No. 500 are every 10 mins right outside the front door of the Terminal and takes 15-20 mins to the City Centre so for the bus journey their and back we are talking say 45-50 mins.

So in reality you have approx 2 hrs 45 mins max on the City Centre, so really only time for lunch and a walk about.

If you go to the other places you mention you will have to make use of taxis as the Tenement House is up a very steep hill and awkward to get to.

Pollok House you would be better going route direct by taxi from the airport but be aware a taxi there and back will cost you around £40-45.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,946 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 hour Glasgow Layover in September

If 0955 is the scheduled arrival time of your incoming plane, then you don't have anywhere near 3 hours, unless you intend parachuting from that plane directly into the city centre.

A four hour layover really isn't enough time to actually start planning to leave the airport.

Montana
Level Contributor
35 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 hour Glasgow Layover in September

Thanks all for the reality check! Exactly why I wanted to ask this here. I think to free up a little time, we could do a late lunch and get it after we check in for the flight to Kirkwall. That would leave us a little time maybe. Since there is less time than I had hoped, is there anywhere nearer the airport to go see or walk around at? Or a bus that we could ride around in for a half hour or so? Even if it's not for much time, it would be nice to get out of the airport.

Also, luggage won't need to be claimed, we will only have our rolling carry ons and a hand bag each. We could either take them with or have them held at the airport.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 hour Glasgow Layover in September

Are you sure luggage wont need to be checked? I would double check the requirements for carry ons on the flight to Kirkwall, those smaller planes/operators can have very stringent carry on requirements.

Also, who are you flying with? I'm not seeing any flights from Glasgow airport to Kirkwall on a Saturday in September around 2pm with FlyBe.

Edited: 11:51 am, August 05, 2013
Montana
Level Contributor
35 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 hour Glasgow Layover in September

We are going via BA, and I did check to make sure we could take our carry-ons and a carry bag on both legs of the journey (our flight out of Kirkwall is a different story!). The flight from Glasgow to Kirkwall is operated by Loganair. Our tickets say:

"Hand Baggage for each adult/child

1 piece of hand baggage (56cm x 45cm x 25cm/22in x 18in x 10in) plus a briefcase, laptop or handbag (45cm x 36cm x 20cm/18in x 14in x 8in).

Unless I am missing something else that I should know?

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,946 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 hour Glasgow Layover in September

Are you leaving on Saturday and arriving in Glasgow on Sunday morning? There appears to be a 1400 flight on a Sunday...

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 hour Glasgow Layover in September

Yep, AFAICS there is one at 2pm on Sundays, not Saturdays.

Also, regards luggage allowance, the BA website says;

=======

Different baggage charges and restrictions may apply on other airlines. Please see the operating airline's website for information.

(and then a link to "Loganair for Flybe" which gives a cabin allowance of 6k and sized 40 x 35 x 18*, and various different checked allowances depending upon the type of ticket.

*If you look at a picture of the plane you'll see why.

Montana
Level Contributor
35 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 hour Glasgow Layover in September

Oh man - I had a mild panic attack when I read your post! And then I realized that I had posted the wrong day - we are traveling through on a SUNDAY not Saturday. So sorry for being confusing. No wonder you couldn't find our flight.

London
Level Contributor
10,186 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 hour Glasgow Layover in September

Your flight on BA will be on a Boeing 737 or Airbus A319. The hand baggage info you have is standard for BA domestic, and you'll have no problems with hand baggage of that size on the LGW to GLA flight. The onward flight with Loganair will be on a small prop plane, and despite what it says on your BA documents, I don't see you being able to take large carry ons onboard this flight: there simply isn't the space.

www.loganair.co.uk/service-info/flybe/baggage

The trouble with leaving the airport and heading into Glasgow is unknown traffic upsets. It certainly doesn't go wrong every day, but on the other hand it's not unknown for a shunt to cause a long holdup on the motorway between the city and the airport. I would reconcile yourself to having a snack in the airport.

Your inbound flight and onward flights are likely to both use the domestic piers - but there are very limited facilities on these piers. If you want a selection of restaurants you'd need to go out of domestic arrivals and then come back through security to get to the general airside area.