We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothes to prepare for August

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Topic
Clothes to prepare for August

Hi,

I will be travelling to Glasgow from 13 to 15 Aug, and would like to know what sort of clothes needed to prepare for the trip. I will be heading from London to Glasgow.

Looking at the weather sites, it seems like Glasgow will be experiencing rainy days and temperature fluctuates from 8 Celsius to 17 Celsius. May I know if Glasgow will be very windy and wet? Coming from all-year-round Summer country, do we need to prepare trench coat or leather jacket? or a simple cardigan will do?

kindly advise on this. Thank you!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,224 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothes to prepare for August

The weather today is no indication of what it will be in 48h time let alone two weeks' time. Check the one to three forecast at www.metoffice.gov.uk the day before you leave and hope that it remains accurate during the time you fly from SIN to London.

If you feel cold when the temps drop below 18C then you might need more than a cardigan.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,519 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothes to prepare for August

You should definitely have a rain jacket of some sort as the rain we get here is not heavy short showers like in the tropics, but persistent rain for hours/ days on end, sometimes heavy but sometimes a constant drizzle. You might be lucky and get lovely sunshine but it is a pretty safe bet there will be some rain during your time in Glasgow.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
11,042 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothes to prepare for August

Would agree with 3 nations and pack some kind of jacket as our weather is totally unpredictable but will almost certainly rain at some point.

I have the Metoffice App on my phone and when you look at the 5 day forecast invariably by the time you get to the 3rd day in it has changed from what it said earlier, I have learned never to trust it any more than the next 2 days!

A couple of weeks ago we experienced about 10 days of wall to wall sunshine and temps around 28c, the last couple of days the rain is bouncing off the ground.

On short prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

If needed a trip to Primark whilst here for really cheap clothes.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothes to prepare for August

Bring a jumper/ light jacket, nothing to heavy as there will most likely be some sunny spells throughout the day but it could also rain.

Barrhead, Scotland...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Clothes to prepare for August

I would say that you would need to bring some form of heavy clothing as the weather can change suddenly up here, and as has been said before the rain can last for a long time. I would also suggest however that you bring some lighter clothes as the weather has been fairly decent in recent days, but as ever with Scotland this is unlikely to last, so carry your waterproofs with you at all times

Regards

Jayden

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,509 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clothes to prepare for August

In general leather jackets are for bikers and trench coats for flashers! I've never owned either.

Where whatever you want. You know how much you feel the cold.

7. Re: Clothes to prepare for August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 05, 2014