We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

George Square Makeover

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
11,444 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
George Square Makeover

Just for everyone's info but that is the hoarding being erected from today around George Square effectively closing it to the public for the planned makeover ahead of next years Commonwealth Games.

It should also be noted this includes the removal of all the parking bays around the perimeter should anyone be planning to use these when dining out.

All roads remain open.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,883 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: George Square Makeover

Wow they are actually going ahead with it. Hope they do a good job. I've got a feeling it'll be a while til they give it the full monty.

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: George Square Makeover

Thanks, Madscotsman. Any idea how long it will take?

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
11,444 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: George Square Makeover

No idea, but remember it is just a spruce up and not the whole restructuring that caused the controversy.

As far as I know it is just getting rid of the red tarmac, cleaning up the statues and improved lighting.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
3,013 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: George Square Makeover

Looks like it could be closed until October.

eveningtimes.co.uk/news/traffic-faces-square…

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
11,444 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: George Square Makeover

So here we are 2 weeks down the line and the sum total of work so far is the removal of the public benches and the the plants and shrubbery around Scott's column!!!

Meanwhile we are in the middle of the tourist season and record sunshine and temps, can't quite see it myself but in the absence of any heavy plant or major works to threaten the health and safety of the public why exactly was it closed completely so early????

Answers on a postcard to Mr Matheson c/o The City Chambers, George Sq.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,883 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: George Square Makeover

Looks like Bollywood is in town right now and taking over George Square and surrounds for a wee while too:

news.stv.tv/west-central/…

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
11,444 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: George Square Makeover

Actually since I last posted a big digger has appeared and started ripping up the Tarmac.

Apparently a few streets will be closed a la WWZ

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
11,444 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: George Square Makeover

Just a wee update but that is them starting to take the hoardings down tonight so looks like the Square will reopen to the public in the next few days.

Just seen it briefly and the red Tarmac has gone!! Looks like they have put a new covering down in a more neutral colour.

The grass beds at the western end have been reinstated and the grass looks great.

It's raining here tonight so can't really tell how the statues look as they are "shiny" but that could be because they are wet.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,360 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: George Square Makeover

I'll be in Galsgow on Thursday so maybe I'll have a peek.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
26 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: George Square Makeover

Found this update very interesting. I think I am one of the few visitors coming to Glasgow NOT during the games - more than likely will be there around end January/February 2014. Are there any other areas that are likely to be no-go zones due to preparation construction for the games, do you think?