We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whisky selection at Glasgow airport

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Finland
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Whisky selection at Glasgow airport

I'm interested in good Scottish whiskies. How good is the selection of whiskies at the Glasgow airport? I'll make a trip to Islay, where the distilleries of Lagavulin, Laphroaig and Ardbeg are situated really close to each other. Should I buy those gems already there or can I get them (even at a cheaper price) at the airport?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,661 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whisky selection at Glasgow airport

I've no idea what price the whiskies sell for at the distilleries but the duty free has a pretty good selection if you want to take a chance on them having stock of what you went when you pass through. See link for the website of company that run the duty free for info. Click on the bottle to find the price: http://www.worlddutyfree.com/whiskyfest-2013#

Hope that helps :)

Edited: 9:37 am, June 17, 2013
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,296 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whisky selection at Glasgow airport

The selection on Islay will be hundreds of times better (for Islay whiskies) than any airport.

In one pub I was in they had about 150 different Islay whiskies.

In airport shops, they might have one or two different Islay brands.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,093 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whisky selection at Glasgow airport

As indicated above, there is an excellent selection of whiskies on sale at the distilleries, but the prices are high - they will normally be cheaper at a supermarket or duty-free shop.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,296 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whisky selection at Glasgow airport

But if you want the cheapest, probably better prices at Tesco.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
20,945 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Whisky selection at Glasgow airport

The selection at the Airport is not bad and they usually have several expressions of the various distillieries and sometimes have expressions that can only be bought in the airport,prices are not too bad either.

As the others have said you will get a much wider choice of expressions in the actual distilleries but at a premium price.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
33,895 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whisky selection at Glasgow airport

And they only have litre bottles at the airport. Last time I bought some they were quite expensive and I wished I had gone to Tesco's.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,166 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whisky selection at Glasgow airport

The World of Whiskies shop at Glasgow airport has an extensive selection of whiskies both in 1 litre and 70cl-bottles. Prices are usually not the best ones, but quite a few bottlings are Travel Retail-exclusives so normally not available in domestic shops.

Most distilleries will have distillery exclusive bottlings, usually high quality stuff.

California
Level Contributor
453 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whisky selection at Glasgow airport

There is a fantastic selection of "special" bottlings at the distilleries. But, how will you be transporting them home? Duty free items are usually past security and thus can be taken on the plane.

We usually buy whiskies from distilleries and pack them in our checked luggage, hoping they will still be there upon arrival. We then declare them on our customs forms and sometimes pay a nominal duty tax. So far, we have been fortunate and all have arrived safely. Don't know your country's rules but you might want to check them out before your trip.

Finland
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whisky selection at Glasgow airport

Thanks for all your advice and hints. What I'll do is that on my way to Scotland I'll check what they have to offer at Gatwick and Glasgow airports (I'll be flying from Helsinki through Gatwick) and then see what Islay holds for me. Then I can easily decide where I'm going to buy my whisky bottle. If it's on Islay then I have to pack it tightly and hope for the best (just like MarciaCalifornia does). But I guess buying the bottle on my way back at Gatwick would be easiest, since then I could carry it in my hand luggage. But we'll see...

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
20,945 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Whisky selection at Glasgow airport

Been a while since I was in Gatwick but they had a great whisky shop then,better than both Edinburgh and Glasgow.