We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loch Lomond

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florida...
Level Contributor
135 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
Loch Lomond

I have booked a tour that visits Loch Lomond and Stirling Castle. I am thinking of changing the booking to another company that visits these two places but also has a visit at the Glengoyne Distillery.

If I change to the other company we will not be taking a cruise on Loch Lomond or stop in Luss.

I am not a whisky aficionado but I do enjoy a scotch from time to time. My question is will I regret not stopping in Luss and taking the boat ride? Is there a lot more to see cruising on the loch than on shore? We will not have time to visit any of the other distilleries during our time in Scotland so I was thinking it is worth switching tours so we can see one. In addition to two days in Glasgow, we will also spend two days in Edinburgh but our schedule is pretty packed.

Our visit to Scotland is in late August when it will be nice but from what I have read the weather could be just about anything! So if it ends up raining we would be happier inside than cruising on the water.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,141 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Loch Lomond

Tough decision! I would say you will see more from the water so there is that aspect of maximising the scenery if that is your preference.

However you wish to visit a distillery but at the same time have no real interest in them, but maybe you are doing it for the sake of someone else in your party?

Weather is as you say unpredictable however the cruise boat has a saloon should it be raining but at the same time you won't see much scenery for the rain anyway!!

Decisions, decisions!!

Florida...
Level Contributor
135 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Loch Lomond

I am actually interested in the distillery. I am just not that knowledgeable about Scotch. Perhaps that is a good reason to visit a distillery! The tour with the cruise on Loch Lomond would as you pointed out allow us to see more scenery. I also think it goes to the Quack Commando show in Aberfoyle. I love sheep dogs! I was also interested to hear about Luss. It sounds like popular with the parish church there and all the weddings. There must be a good reason so many people go there!

The second company does provide a good tour of Loch Lomond and the Trossachs but not cruising on the loch itself. I am still torn but leaning toward the one with the distillery. I guess it comes down to how much I want to see the distillery as opposed to spending time in the countryside and keeping weather as a consideration.

I have been to several wineries in Napa, Chile and Spain. Doing something a little different than looking at the landscape might be fun if it is not pouring rain.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,141 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Loch Lomond

Sounds like you have made your mind up to change then?

I take it is the Rabbies Tour you are switching to?

Luss is a small Conservation Village with a pier onto the Loch and while it is quaint and pretty you are cramming a lot into one day so would not beat yourself up to much as missing it.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
23,012 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Loch Lomond

I would second that. If the weather is good the cruise would be lovely - but that may not happen.

A distillery is interesting if you've never been. Beats the wineries hands down. And you will have seen some beautiful scenery already.

Your other option is to go to a pub in the evening maybe, where they offer a varied supply of single malts and sample a few different ones. There are many different flavours.

Florida...
Level Contributor
135 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Loch Lomond

Thank you both so much! I did some more research and have decided to switch to the other tour which is with Rabbie's. I watched some interesting YouTube videos about the Glengoyne distillery. So glad to hear it beats a winery.

We will be seeing a lot of scenery. I appreciate the additional info about Luss. I won't regret missing it. As this trip is part of a cruise (pre and during) we will have lots to enjoy in the British Isles.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,141 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Loch Lomond

Ok Steph, Rabbies it is then, enjoy your trip,

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Loch Lomond

I recently got back from a quick trip to Glasgow and a visit to Glengoyne. It was fantastic - a really beautiful distillery to visit. You can read about my visit to the distillery here: flashpackingfemale.com/index.php/…

Florida...
Level Contributor
135 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Loch Lomond

Thank you very much for the link to your blog. I enjoyed reading about your visit to Glengoyne Distllery. It sounds wonderful. I actually booked the tour with Rabbie's to Stirling, Loch Lomond and Glengoyne a couple days ago.

I also read your post on Glasgow. We will be staying there 2 nights. I am cramming a lot into our short visit. I will write a trip report when we return in early September. Going to France and Germany too.

Kent
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Loch Lomond

Luss is pretty but you can see it in 10 mins - its not the end of the world if you miss it.

Florida...
Level Contributor
135 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Loch Lomond

Thank you CazT, I read about Luss and it does sound nice. I guess a famous soap opera is based there. Loch Lomond looks very beautiful and hopefully viewing it from shore will suffice.

I see you are from Kent. Will be spending one night there prior to our British Isles cruise. We plan to visit Chartwell and Knole by taking the train to Sevenoaks and then a taxi.