We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some lovely restaurants / places to eat in Glasgow

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
355 posts
101 reviews
Some lovely restaurants / places to eat in Glasgow

Having lived in Glasgow for 11 years now and with a slight obsession to eating out, I have tried lots of Glasgow restaurants/eateries. So I thought I would share a list of my favourite places in categories in the hope that I can help others out. I'd also love to know of anywhere tried and tested that you would add to the list.

Italian:

La Lanterna (old school Italian, no pizza here!)

Italian Kitchen (rabbit ravioli is amazing)

Scottish/British:

Fanny Trollopes (very good pre theatre. Informal setting)

Roastit Bubbly Jocks (out in Partick)

Guys (massive mix of a menu, try the Glasgow tapas)

Cafe Gandolfi (gets busy- and loud- at weekends so book ahead. Delicious food)

Special Occasion Dining (i.e not cheap!):

Stravaigin -fusion between Scottish and eastern (excellent restaurant downstairs or more informal bar upstairs if its not a special occasion. Also do good brekkie)

The Ubiquitous Chip (restaurant and brasserie both very good. The restaurant is not cheap but worth it and the brasserie is a bit more informal. Bar gets extremely busy at weekends)

Cail Bruich (the food here is gorgeous)

Lunch:

Celinos

The Tea Rooms at The Butterfly & Pig (shabby chic soups, sandwiches & cakes. Try the afternoon tea)

Ashoka Ashton Lane (thali lunch good value)

Cushion & Cake (yummy soup)

Greek:

Yiamas (great value lunch menu. old style no frills taverna with a big upstairs great for groups)

Athena

Best For Groups:

Soho (italian)

Sapporo Teppanyaki (food is good but not excellent but go for the show and fun factor)

Viva Brazil (for carnivores. eat lots of steak, chicken etc for as long as you want. Wear a stretchy waistband)

Fish:

The Fish People's Cafe

Chippy Doon The Lane (fish and chips, not fancy)

Bar/Pub Grub:

Bier Halle on Gordon Street (the pizzas are the best)

Velvet Elvis (gets busy on weekends so book ahead)

Butterfly & Pig

Brutti Ma Buoni

Indian:

Mother India's Cafe

Nakodar Grill

Chinese:

Opium

Dragon-i

Thai:

Thai Lemongrass

Tikibar & Kitsch Inn (also do delicious cocktails)

Other:

The Grill On The Corner (best sunday lunch I've tried in Glasgow & if you join online for free to get a blackhouse card then you can get 40% off if you book in advance)

Cafezique (breakfast, lunch or dinner- this place is a hit. The only disappointment is no menus on the website to make you want to go)

The Left Bank (a mix of a menu, try the tapas-y dishes)

Places On My Hitlist To Try Out Next:

Number 16

Mussel Inn

The Sisters Kelvingrove

Central Market

Smoak

(friends have been to the above places and raved about them)

I had intended on the list being much smaller but I realised that there are so many great places in Glasgow that I love that I didn't want to miss any out.

Does anyone have any more to add to my hitlist of places to visit this year?

UK
Level Contributor
3,187 posts
124 reviews
11. Re: Some lovely restaurants / places to eat in Glasgow

What was Tatties Bistro (sadly already missed) is now Amici's - an Italian restaurant. Went past today and it is open for business. Not sure that the West End, or indeed Glasgow, needs yet another Italian restaurant.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
355 posts
101 reviews
12. Re: Some lovely restaurants / places to eat in Glasgow

Purple C- we went to the butchershop bar & grill for lunch today and really liked it. Thanks for the recommendation. I look forward to going back for dinner soon!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
355 posts
101 reviews
13. Re: Some lovely restaurants / places to eat in Glasgow

Just found this thread again. We have now been to number 16 and would recommend it highly. Great value lunch and pre theatre menus too!

aberdeen scotland
Level Contributor
365 posts
95 reviews
14. Re: Some lovely restaurants / places to eat in Glasgow

Hi forgive me for hijacking your post but as it is on the subject of restaurants I wondered if you could offer some help?

We are a group of forty nearly fifty somethings visiting Glasgow in Nov, wondered if you could recommend a good restaurant for us? We would like to it be a bit special so we can get dressed up.

We try to visit Glasgow every year, and haven't had a bad meal yet. Recently been to Gamabs, UB Chip, and Café Gondolfi all excellent. Not too fussy on the type of food but probably not Indian or Chinese.

For drinks we like Blue Dog and cocktails in Rogannos, any other suggestions for an older crowd?

Cheers

Elaine

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,492 posts
273 reviews
15. Re: Some lovely restaurants / places to eat in Glasgow

Such a large group is a big challenge for any restaurant, but I think Guys at Candleriggs, Merchant City might fit the bill http://www.guysrestaurant.co.uk/

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
548 posts
20 reviews
16. Re: Some lovely restaurants / places to eat in Glasgow

Are you meaning 40 something age bracket not group size?

aberdeen scotland
Level Contributor
365 posts
95 reviews
17. Re: Some lovely restaurants / places to eat in Glasgow

40 something age bracket, just 4 of us

Scotland
Level Contributor
174 posts
25 reviews
18. Re: Some lovely restaurants / places to eat in Glasgow

I'd recommend The Grill Room at 29 Royal Exchange square, just next to The Rogano. It has a lovely atmosphere, good food and is a venue you could stay in all night as it has a cocktail bar and nightclub that is certainly appropriate for an older crown.

It's a private members club but if you have dinner reservations you're able to stay there all night.

http://www.29glasgow.com/

aberdeen scotland
Level Contributor
365 posts
95 reviews
19. Re: Some lovely restaurants / places to eat in Glasgow

Thanks I will check it out

Cheers

Elaine

20. Re: Some lovely restaurants / places to eat in Glasgow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 09, 2014