We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girlie weekend in Glasgow in July

Neath
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Girlie weekend in Glasgow in July

We are a party of 6 visiting Glasgow to celebrate a 50th birthday. Looking to stay in a Premier Inn but which one is in best location? We will be travelling to the centre from the airport (taxi or bus?) so parking isn't an issue and we'd like to be central for bars, restaurants etc. From what I've read the Premier Inn at Buchanan Galleries seems to be the most central or would we be better off in the George Square PI?

Would also welcome recommendations of pubs/bars playing live music or anywhere to go in the evening (too old for clubs!!). Any help welcomed for our trip! Thanks everyone.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,665 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Girlie weekend in Glasgow in July

First of all are you arriving at Glasgow International (GLA) or Glasgow Prestwick (PIK) which is approx 35 miles from the City.

If GLA and as there are 6 of you then jump in a 6 seater taxi outside the front doors which will be Approx £25 as opposed to £30 for the bus for 6.

If PIK then take the train from the airport station and show your boarding pass/e ticket for half price travel to Glasgow Central taking 45 minutes.

As for Premier Inn either the Buchanan or George Sq one will do as both are central for everything.

Can't help much with the night life as like you I am of the same vintage and don't get out much!! !!

Neath
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Girlie weekend in Glasgow in July

We fly into GLA so thanks for info on taxi.

Following a suggestion on another post on Glasgow, I've signed up to 5pm.co.uk and also Blue Dog Cocktail Bar. We may be of a certain vintage but enjoy a good night out...especially when it involves a tipple! Thanks again.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,665 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Girlie weekend in Glasgow in July

Actually my math is all wrong tonight the bus would be£36 as it is £6 each

Yeah Blue Dog would suit also try the Corinthian on Ingram St

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
349 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Girlie weekend in Glasgow in July

All of the Premier Inns are within walking distance to pubs/clubs as Glasgow city centre is quite small and easily accessible on foot or by taxi so I would go with whatever one is the best rate for you (PI Charing Cross is also an option).

For a fun girls night out I have found Shanghai shuffle is fab!! It's a Chinese/karaoke bar so if you fancy a bit of a sing song then it's a must (the food is lovely too and you get 3 courses for a set price depending on the night).

If you are a fan of the 80s then another option is Reflex Bar which is a total 80s cheesefest with fab cocktails at very reasonable prices. People of all ages and open until 3am

If you fancy something a it more refined I would agree with the Corinthian as it is a gorgeous place and does deals on 5pm.co.uk so not too pricey

Scotland
Level Contributor
181 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Girlie weekend in Glasgow in July

If nightlife Iis the mst important thing for you, I'd recommend the premier inn at George Sq over Buchanan Galleries. to closer to Merchant city which has loads of nice bars and restaurants and also the Corinthian (recommended earlier). The other hotel is better located for shopping but nightlife at that end of town can be quite young (bath st). Hope that helps!

Neath
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Girlie weekend in Glasgow in July

Thank you both for the useful information and suggestions of where to go - Reflex sounds a good option with the cocktails and from what I can see on a map of Glasgow it's quite central :) We probably wont want to wander around loads of places so may try to find a restaurant nearby and just stick to a couple of venues per evening (we're there on a Fri & Sat night). Maybe the other night we'll try out the Blue Dog Cocktail bar - anyone been there recently. Do either of these places do live music?

I have already booked the Buchanan Galleries premier inn based on the earlier post and really good reviews of the hotel. It's no problem as a taxi between 6 of us will be cheap as chips if we don't fancy the walk in the evening! I've also been reading about the hop on hop off bus tour so that'll let us take in the sights of Glasgow and help us get our bearings.

Thanks for the help so far and any further comments are welcomed. Cheers.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,665 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Girlie weekend in Glasgow in July

You say you looked at the map, just to add that you may have noticed that Glasgow city centre is a grid system so each of those streets are only 3-400 yds apart so the likes of Blue Dog is only a couple of streets down and along from your hotel (5 mins walk) so therefore your hotel is really central for everything.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,035 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Girlie weekend in Glasgow in July

Blue Dog is nice for a cocktail or two and it often has live music - http://www.bluedogglasgow.com/events/

Nice place to start your evening before you head for the dancing!

Edited: 5:44 pm, April 30, 2013
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
349 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Girlie weekend in Glasgow in July

https://www.livingsocial.com/cities/1946-gla…

Found this cocktail class on living social only £15 for 2 people which might be fun for you, I've been to one in Glasgow before (different bar) with a hen party and it was hilarious and we got loads of free drinks and a food platter of pizzas and onion rings etc Well worth the money :)

Neath
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Girlie weekend in Glasgow in July

Thank you for the info Kinzi73 - that's our Saturday afternoon sorted :0 I've booked us in for the cocktail masterclass! Can't go wrong at that price.

Great info everyone, thank you so much - we can't wait :)