We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairncross House - Univ of Glasgow

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
moutrie
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Cairncross House - Univ of Glasgow

I'm thinking of staying at the Cairncross House at 20 Kelvinhaugh Place off of Argyle Street. Can anyone tell me how far a walk it is to the Partick underground station from there. My self and my 79 yr old dad will be making the walk in order to get into downtown Glasgow.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,776 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairncross House - Univ of Glasgow

Not entirely familiar with this, but isn't it a glasgow university halls of residence - if so you should be able to get all this info on their website under the accomodation secion: www.gla.ac.uk. Or you could try putting the address in to www.multimap.com or google earth.

Hope this helps, but perhaps someone else will come along.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,776 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairncross House - Univ of Glasgow

Here's a link to Cairncross House on the Uni webpage for more info - it has the house email address so you could ask them.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,776 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairncross House - Univ of Glasgow

gla.ac.uk/services/…cairncross.htm

Sorry almost forgot!

moutrie
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cairncross House - Univ of Glasgow

Purpleceltic

Thanks for the information. Yes, the Cairncross house is Univ of Glasgow student housing that can be used during the summer break. I stayed in this building in 1995 during my first trip to Glasgow and all was fine as I really only slept there and spent my awake time touring the city and area. This time I am taking my 79 year old dad with me as he wants to go to Greenock and parts of Glasgow to see were his father was raised.

My only concern is his walking long distances and I could not really tell how far Kelvinhaugh st is from Partick underground (it looks to be the closest station). Also, I would be interested in knowing if there are any grocery stores nearby.

I emailed the cairncorss house (thanks for the address) and hopefully will hear something next week.

Again, thanks for you help.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,776 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cairncross House - Univ of Glasgow

If you put the post code (G3 8NH) into Google earth or google maps it will show that Cairncross House is at the bottom end of Kelvingrove park.

I would say that the nearest underground displayed is either Kelvin Hall near the bottom end of Byres Rd or Kelvin Bridge on the Great Western road - a lovely walk up through the park along the river. Neither of these is very close - I would say both are about 10 mins at strolling pace. If you are wanting to go into central Glasgow I wouldn't mind betting that you are close to a main bus route in.

If your Dad isn't great with walking maybe you could take the underground out to town and taxi back? It costs about a fiver from Town to the West End by cab.

I think Partick is quite a way away from where you are staying, near the Murano Student Village up the hill from the Botanic Gardens - but I am not an expert - I just visit occasionally - today in fact!

Hope you both enjoy your stay - the west end is gearing up for a festival next weekend.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
2,763 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cairncross House - Univ of Glasgow

Helo Baman,

The underground isn't really any use to you.It's too far away and in the wrong direction.There are plenty of buses into the city from Argyle St.

As for grocery stores there are lots of small shops in Argyle St but I don't think there is a big supermarket nearby.

Ken.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cairncross House - Univ of Glasgow

hey Baman,

I live about 15 mins walk from Cairncross.

your nearest underground station at cairncross is actually Kelvinhall but even this is a good 10 minute walk. Your best bet for getting around is to get buses into town - you are right beside one of hte major routes in the city on Argyle st - travel all day unlimited on any service for £2.50 after 9.30. Buses run all day at regular (i.e. every 5 mins) along here plus there are about 5 different services.. The 62 is probably the best service and most regular and it also runs through the night.

hope this helps

Lisa

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cairncross House - Univ of Glasgow

regards groceries - plenty of small local shops - 2 24 hour ones right beside you but not great for big shops - try sainsburys or tesco metro in city centre

moutrie
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cairncross House - Univ of Glasgow

Thanks for all your replys.

10. Re: Cairncross House - Univ of Glasgow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, August 16, 2009