We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gla-ord-mia

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
90 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
gla-ord-mia

Hi,

We're two UK citizens flying from Glasgow to Chicago to Miami, and then back via the same route two weeks later, on American Airlines.

We're trying to find out a couple of things. First of all, will we need to clear US customs and Immigration at O'Hare? We have just over two hours between the two flights and my experience on domestic flights in the US has been you only need to check in around an hour before take-off.

Secondly, will we need to check in again at O'Hare or will we check all the way through to Miami when we check in at Glasgow?

Third, what about our bags? I seem to remember the last time I did this flight that my bags were checked straight through to Miami at Glasgow and I just had to go straight to the gate.

I've done this flight before but that was in August 2001, and I'm aware security/immigration procedures may have tightened up since then.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,282 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gla-ord-mia

Best to phone American Airlines for up to date information.

London
Level Contributor
401 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gla-ord-mia

You need to clear US Immigration and Customs at your first port of entry in the USA, so in this case that will be Chicago O'Hare.

This means you will need to pick up your bags at O'Hare and have them with you when you hand in your US Customs Declaration.

You should, however, be checked in, and issued with a boarding card for your O'Hare-Miami flight in Glasgow. The bit I'm not sure about - and you should check with American - is whether the AA drop off point for your baggage, after you've cleared US Customs, is in Terminal 5, where you arrive, or Terminal 3 where you fly out of.

3. Re: gla-ord-mia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 am, August 12, 2009