We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

glasgow hotel and airport questions

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ontario,canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
glasgow hotel and airport questions

i am looking at the premier hotel buchanan galleries. i will probably not arrive until evening. am i better to take train to central station and then cab it or take bus to buchanan bus station and walk to hotel by myself.....

i lhave to be at the airport at 7 a.m next morning. how much would a cab cost or is there a better way....thank you....

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,578 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: glasgow hotel and airport questions

If you have to be at the airport for 7am would it not be more benificial to stay at one of the airport hotels the night before?

Otherwise in answer to your original question yes the airport bus drops you off at the bus station round the corner from the premier inn, that is if i am reading your post correctly as you do not say exactly from where you are arriving from to stay that night?

Secondly the cost of a taxi to the airport is approx £22-25 as opposed to the airport bus being £5 and again round the corner at the bus stn.

Edited: 2:19 am, January 22, 2013
ontario,canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: glasgow hotel and airport questions

I am coming from Dundee. You thinki it would be best to stay near the airport rather than downtown. If I take a train or a bus from Dundee will they go to the airport area or will I have to switch buses or trains to get to the airport? Are there any hotels near the airport with free transport to and from the hotel.

Also if I get in late is there anywhere to get a meal at small airport hotels or would I just eat at the airport before I get to hotel. Thank you.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: glasgow hotel and airport questions

The Holiday Inn at the airport is just a few steps from the terminal. It has a restaurant. There are other hotels, such as the Holiday Inn Express which are a few minutes away in a shuttle bus or you can get a taxi.

When you get off the Dundee train get the airport bus a la Madscotsman's advice

Edited: 1:24 am, January 23, 2013
glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,578 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: glasgow hotel and airport questions

As the goodwitch says the nearest hotel to the terminal is HI followed by HIEx then The Premier Inn, all within walking distance.

If you take the bus from Dundee it comes in to Buchanan Bus Stn whereby it is only a matter of yards between stances for the airport flyer bus No. 500 which is every 10 mins and at night only takes 15 mins to the airport.

If coming by train then you arrive at Queen St Stn and you have to go to the left as you come off the train out past the taxi rank and into Nth Hanover St and on the opposite side facing downhill you catch the airport bus which has just left the bus stn.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
300 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: glasgow hotel and airport questions

It depends on whether you are a morning person or not but I would prefer to stay in town with more and varied dining options and indeed things to do then leave for the airport about 06:30 the next morning.

ontario,canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: glasgow hotel and airport questions

I appreciate all your thoughts. I am definitely not a morning person.

That is why I looked at the premier hotel Buchanan thinking I could walk with suitcase there from the bus stop and would be able to find a restaurant for supper What time I am going to be dropped off in Dundee is not known as yet

So I don't know when I can get the bus to Glasgow but I assume it will be late afternoon or early evening. I would have liked to have tie to see Glasgow but I doubt that is an option.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: glasgow hotel and airport questions

Premier inn buchanan is so handy for bus station and 500 bus service which runs 24/7 will be your best bet for sure... Journey time approx 20 mins will cost you a fiver!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
300 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: glasgow hotel and airport questions

Depends what time you arriving and what time of year whether there is much still to see.

My preference would be to have a wider choice of things to do and see by staying in the city rather than the airport but if an extra half hour in bed is important then airport hotels make more sense.

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: glasgow hotel and airport questions

Try and get a room at the Holiday Inn at the airport as you have a really early start.

You can often get deals for very cheap about £45/£50. If you book on the Superbreak website and choose the mystery hotel which is across from the terminal building, this is the Holiday Inn. It is quite expensive to eat in but the Lloyds in the airport is cheaper.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
300 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: glasgow hotel and airport questions

"Try and get a room at the Holiday Inn at the airport as you have a really early start."

Jings is 0700 at the airport a "really early" start to the day?