We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paying for hotels etc.......

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Paying for hotels etc.......

Hello,

Do you think it would be best to pay for all hotels throughout europe with travellers cheques, then use travelex cash passport for all other expenses?

Appreciate thoughts!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,005 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paying for hotels etc.......

In the UK credit or debit cards are very widely used.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Paying for hotels etc.......

Only you and your bank can answer that one. The costs are all to do with what you'll have to pay back in Aus.

Here there are no ATM charges in ATMs at banks, post offices & the major supermarkets. So you can use your own debit card or the travelex card and it won't make any difference to what you pay here. Just make sure if you use your own debit card that it's affiliated with one the major ATM networks - Visa, Mastercard, AmEx, Cirrus or Plus are all good here.

Equally Visa and Mastercard credit and debit cards are widely accepted by hotels, restaurants, tourist attractions and stores (even my local convenience store accepts them) and there are no credit card surcharges to pay here.

Sorry I can't give any better advice but you'll have to do the homework in Australia. Find out what your bank charges for using your cards abroad then compare that with the the charges for the travelex card.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Paying for hotels etc.......

Thanks Cheshire,

I have done some homework, seems the Travelex Cash Passport is the most convenient with the most decent/minimal charges.

this and local currency may be the way for us,

Cheers =)

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,005 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paying for hotels etc.......

All the same,if you don't have a credit card I would strongly recommend you get hold of a Visa or Mastercard.A card is the normal means of payment at many hotels and could be a very useful back-up in an emergency.