We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Difference between Glasgow Central and Glasgow Queen Street

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
90 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Difference between Glasgow Central and Glasgow Queen Street

Travelling from York and trains end in both of these station which are pretty much equal distance from where I am staying - are both main stations and will I be able to get a taxi at both? Just wondering whether there is a 'better' station for facilities or whether it doesn't make any difference.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
2,714 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Difference between Glasgow Central and Glasgow Queen Street

They are both main line stations with loads of taxis.

However any direct train from York will come in to Central and this will be the best choice.

Otherwise you will have to change at Edinburgh for Queen St.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,763 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Difference between Glasgow Central and Glasgow Queen Street

If it makes no difference in terms of distance from where you are staying, then just go with the train that suits you best time or cost-wise, or has the quickest journey/least changes, or most comfortable trains. Central is bigger than Queen Street, but there's nothing about them that would make me choose one over the other in your situation.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Difference between Glasgow Central and Glasgow Queen Street

East Coast trains usually stop in Edinburgh and you change to the Scotrail train to Queen Street.

Crosscountry trains go to Central

There are more East Coast trains and the journey takes a little less time. But you have to change train.

Toss a coin!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Difference between Glasgow Central and Glasgow Queen Street

There is now only one East Coast train each day that goes through to Central. The rest are all Cross Country.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Difference between Glasgow Central and Glasgow Queen Street

Central is much prettier, imo, than Queen Street. However, Queen Street is next to George Square, in the centre of Glasgow, whereas the streets around Central are not quite as impressive....

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,775 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Difference between Glasgow Central and Glasgow Queen Street

Go with the station that serves the train time and price that suits you.

They both drop you in the centre of Glasgow and are a 6 minute walk apart and both have a shedload of taxis sitting on their respective ranks.

Out of interest where exactly is your final destination as you may not even need a taxi.

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
90 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Difference between Glasgow Central and Glasgow Queen Street

Staying at either the Mark Hotel or Abode on Bath Street - someone mentioned there is a really steep hill up to there

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,775 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Difference between Glasgow Central and Glasgow Queen Street

Most of glasgow city centre is on hill though there are far steeper ones.

Unless you have mobility issues then the walk up to bath st is not that challenging.

Its up to you a taxi from queen st will be around £3:60 although would take just as long by the time it goes through umpteen sets of lights.

Taxi from central will be around £3 and take a bit quicker as its straight up hope st.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
681 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Difference between Glasgow Central and Glasgow Queen Street

Your question's been answered I know, but just wanted to share with you - we travel from Doncaster and on my first trip to Glasgow about 4 years ago you could regularly get direct trains to Central (we now change at Edinburgh and go to Queen St). We got into Central, which is an impressive station, and walked to Buchanan St as I'd seen from a map our hotel was fairly close. Although it was Sunday afternoon Glasgow came and hit me with all it had - the fantastic celtic boys banging their drums, pipers on several corners, a group of nose pipe players from the Andes competing with the general melee, people of all shapes and sizes and fashions wandering around, cutting edge shop windows with the promise of credit card pounding to come - I fell in love with Glasgow then and it has not diminished!

Enjoy your trip! Would just mention that when we last changed at Edinburgh at the end of July the station was horrendous - there's loads of work being done which looks nowhere near completion (although I think completion is scheduled for the autumn).

10. Re: Difference between Glasgow Central and Glasgow Queen Street

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, December 15, 2013