We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2013 World Pipe Band Championships queries

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
141 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
2013 World Pipe Band Championships queries

We are from Australia and hope to attend the Worlds in August next year, so would like some idea of where to stay, hopefully within walking distance of the event, (or if not, an easy public transport commute)

This year it's at the Glasgow Green - possibly the same venue next year?

As we'll be out most of the day, clean and safe are our main requirements for accommodation - either a hotel, B&B or self catering, but not too expensive! (our Aussie dollar is still less than the pound)

Can anyone help?

Any other information about the Championships - hints, etc - would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! Jay2000

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
141 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: 2013 World Pipe Band Championships queries

Thank you for the information Mary_G - do you know when it will be confirmed, or do I just keep an eye on the Worlds web site?

I am so looking forward to our trip to Scotland next year and this will top it off very nicely!

Earlier this year we went to the Australian Pipe Band Championships and loved listening to the 30+ bands there.

240+ bands were in Glasgow this year and presumably there'll be around the same number next year. It will be spectacular, to say the least!

Jay200

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,825 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: 2013 World Pipe Band Championships queries

I called the RSPBA and the dates have been confirmed as 17/18 August 2013. Enjoy!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
141 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: 2013 World Pipe Band Championships queries

Thank you so much Alex_Andraya - Scotland here we come!

Now we plan the rest of our time there.

Jay2000

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: 2013 World Pipe Band Championships queries

Piping Live is a week long festival of ... you've guessed ... bagpipes - of all shapes, sizes and flavours. But majoring on the GHB (great Highland bagpipe). It always takes place in Glasgow during the week leading up to the Worlds. It has fantastic free and paid for events, and is a marvellous innovation.

Here is the 2012 programme. http://www.pipinglive.co.uk/

You'd be well advised to factor it into your plans if you are coming over for the Worlds anyway.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
141 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: 2013 World Pipe Band Championships queries

Thanks for that mary_g

We will be in the Uk, (mainly Scotland), for almost 7 weeks, so hope to fit a fair bit in during that time. This'll be another to add to the growing list!

Thanks again, Jay2000

Glasgow, Scotland...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: 2013 World Pipe Band Championships queries

For a long stay trip at budget rates you could try the University of Glasgow summer accommodation. Their residences do discounted rates for pipe bands during the summer months.

london
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: 2013 World Pipe Band Championships queries

belgrave hotel glasgow west end safe loads of pubs and restaurants etc

belgraveglasgow@aol.com

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
69 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: 2013 World Pipe Band Championships queries

Hi Jay.

The West End would be a great place to stay as it has lots of bars and restaurants and great public transport links and plenty of B&Bs. With the piping college in the area there is also a lot of pipers about and some bars have special nights on for free. I seem to remember a bar called Coopers on Great Western Road had a great informal Open Pipe night. Beer was pretty good as well.

Hope you enjoy.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
141 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: 2013 World Pipe Band Championships queries

Thanks for your help everyone. We have found somewhere to stay, now I just have to work out how to buy tickets. I went to the Piping web site and emailed them when it gave no indication of where seating was located. Though I received a reply, it made no sense, so I emailed them back, but haven't heard anything.

Still, looking forward to a great time in Scotland!

Jay

30. Re: 2013 World Pipe Band Championships queries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 25, 2014