We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best 3G signal - (Scotland/Lake District/Liverpool/London)

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
165 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Best 3G signal - (Scotland/Lake District/Liverpool/London)

Hi,

I would be getting a PAYG SIM for data (therefore 3G) in the 2+ weeks I'm in the UK. I know which company offers the cheapest package, but would like to get one that has decent coverage in most of the following places.

I would like suggestions on the best 3G mobile network for travelling in Glasgow/Edinburgh, Lake District, Liverpool and London? I'm hoping someone who has been to either of these places with the same SIM card could pop by and give their thoughts.

p/s: My phone is unlocked so no problems there.

Thank you!

Scotland
Level Contributor
24 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best 3G signal - (Scotland/Lake District/Liverpool/London)

The places you list will generally all have significant coverage for 3G networks as they're busy areas.

All of the main networks (02, Orange, Vodafone, 3 and T-Mobile) will have similar coverage over these areas.

The following link may be useful, it's got direct links to coverage maps for each network, where you can put in the postcodes of where you'll be staying and it will be able to give detailed coverage information for that area.

http://www.compare3gmobilebroadband.co.uk/

I'd maybe recommend going for either T-Mobile or Orange, as they've recently signed a deal which allows their customers to use each other's signal. (So, for instance, an Orange customer in an area with little signal, will be able to use T-Mobile's signal for no extra charge). However, if i'm honest, I highly doubt there will be much of a difference in signal on any of the networks listed above.

Level Contributor
643 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best 3G signal - (Scotland/Lake District/Liverpool/London)

Unfortunately the coverage maps can only be used as a guide and not a true indication of actual availability of coverage.

As stated the major companies tend to have decent coverage of most areas, although I have to say I have found Orange/T-mobile to be the poorest in Edinburgh for some reason.

I think at present Orange and T mobile only share 2G coverage with 3G "coming soon"

Note that you can buy PAYG SIMs from Supermarkets which while "own" brand do use the big companies networks e.g. Tesco use o2 and Asda use Vodafone

Edited: 3:58 am, November 01, 2011
London
Level Contributor
9,700 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best 3G signal - (Scotland/Lake District/Liverpool/London)

Don't rely on anything in the Lake District.

My experience is that once you are outside of major cities your chance of a 3G signal is virtually nil.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
165 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best 3G signal - (Scotland/Lake District/Liverpool/London)

I'd like to be able to use Google maps on the go and maybe upload a few photos, thus the request for a decent 3G signal. I was slightly in doubt that the Lake District would have 3G network, but I'll be based in Ambleside and I'd have free wifi at my hostel so if no 3G... I'll just wait till I get back to the hostel.

Actually most of my hostels offer free wifi, except for the ones in Liverpool and London, and I'd like to save a bit by using a sim card for internet. From experience, the paid/free wifi at hostels can be spotty and very annoying to use.

From their websites, I quite like O2 (Text and Web) and Orange (Dolphin) PAYG package for £10 top-up. Is anyone using the above networks especially in Liverpool and London?

New Delhi
Level Contributor
120 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best 3G signal - (Scotland/Lake District/Liverpool/London)

I have the same query. I need 3G PAYG sim for mostly Edinburg, and then plces like Inverness, Loch ness and London. Not able to make out which Sim to buy.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,728 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best 3G signal - (Scotland/Lake District/Liverpool/London)

Have you read #1?

New Delhi
Level Contributor
120 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best 3G signal - (Scotland/Lake District/Liverpool/London)

I did read that but there is a very noticeable disclaimer saying that this is indicative is why some real ppl giving some real feedback on the level of service for the above providers. My main usage would be using google maps and maybe uploading photos and vids on the go.

Incidentally do any of the providers have tie up with any wi fi provider like say BT

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best 3G signal - (Scotland/Lake District/Liverpool/London)

is why some real ppl giving some real feedback on the level of service

=======

That wont help you, coverage in country districts will be very patchy, you could move a kilometre and lose one provider entirely, but gain another .. and move another k and lose all of them. In cities they will all be very similar...

... but do you really need coverage for Loch Ness? Most people just go there for the obligatory drive by or day trip. If you are staying there for a week and want it for a phone from the place you are staying in, ask the landlord which has best signal, if any. And dont be surprised if the answer is "none"

New Delhi
Level Contributor
120 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best 3G signal - (Scotland/Lake District/Liverpool/London)

Ok.. I guess I will just pick up whichever fancies me at the Edinburgh airport

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best 3G signal - (Scotland/Lake District/Liverpool/London)

Ok.. I guess I will just pick up whichever fancies me at the Edinburgh airport

-----

Don't do that. Wait until you are in Ediburgh or Inverness and get something in a mobile shop there. Airports are notorious for rip off mobile deals, for example, selling for £10 a SIM that's free a few miles away in the city centre.