We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating Out in Glasgow

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Eating Out in Glasgow

Has anyone dined at Planet Uno in Stockwell Street? I found a special offer on the internet for a 2 course dinner for GBP8.45. We are staying at Jurys Inn but can't find any detail, online, about their restaurant. Has anyone dined at the Jury's Inn? Would love to hear your thoughts as we arrive in Glasgow early evening so don't want to try and find somewhere reasonably priced at that time of the day. Thanks for your help.

UK
Level Contributor
3,265 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating Out in Glasgow

I have dined at neither Planet Uno nor at the Jury's Inn, nor do I know anyone in Glasgow who has. Jury's other hotel restaurants in Glasgow are really bad so beware.

In the city centre east, I can recommend The Italian Kitchen, Ingram Street for authentic Italian cuisine - just about the best pizzas in Glasgow; Pancho Villas, Bell Street - great Mexican food and cheap; The City Merchant, Candleriggs - quality food, silver service, yet not too expensive; Smith's, Candleriggs - great cuisine with a French twist; Cafe Gandolfi, Albion Street - Scottish cuisine in a friendly if busy atmosphere.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating Out in Glasgow

Hi

I haven't eaten at Planet Uno - but you can see a review from 'the list' on www.list.co.uk/restaurants/glasgow/search.php?q=u,v2549,wplanet+uno (their reviews are usually pretty reliable).

I stayed at Jurys Inn for a night on business once. It was ok - very much a standard business hotel. It had a nice bathroom, but bland decor - though my room had an amazing view right over the railway station (which you couldn't hear at all thanks to the triple glazing!). So I wouldn't worry that you're coming to somewhere awful after the other poster's comment. However, based on the breakfast I'd definitely eat elsewhere - it was nothing special and you are very well placed with alternatives - and I think they are probably nearer than Planet Uno.

I'd highly recommend the following (you can read their reviews on 'the list' website) all reasonably priced:

Cafe gandolphi - in the merchant city - nice flavours, not fancy - but a nice atmosphere and great interior

Paperinos - Sauchiehall Street - a super italian - nice, good quality, great pizza and pasta

The Dhabba - Merchant city (slightly pricier but not outrageous) - my favourite Indian in Glasgow

Mono - merchant city - very cheap veggie (actually vegan) place - definitely not posh, but good food and wine and usually fairly easy to get a table. some of my very carniverous friends have been known to go there though and enjoy it.

UK
Level Contributor
3,265 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating Out in Glasgow

Sorry if I misled anyone with my previous post. The Jury's is fine with regard to the hotel accommodation; it is just that their sister hotel - The Jury's Pond has a restaurant which serves terrible food. Mind you, one could probably say the same about many hotels' restaurants. I have also eaten at the restaurant in the Marriot in Glasgow's Cambridge Street and the food was also terrible.

Paperino's, Sauchiehall Street is one of my favourite Italian restaurants - pizzas as good as, if not better than, those at The Italian Kitchen. In that part of the city centre I can also recommend Red Onion, West Campbell Street - good choice of well prepared food (including some Scottish specialities) and great service.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
125 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating Out in Glasgow

I have eaten at Planet Uno a couple of times at lunchtime. Each time the food was fine. It is not startling but definitely reasonable. The prices were fine but the staff were better than fine. If you are looking for a reasonably priced Italian meal then it is acceptable. Ifyou would like "Scottish" then Cafe Gandolfi is good and reasonable. The bar up stairs is good also. Cafe Mao in the Merchant City nearby is nice for Thai type food.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating Out in Glasgow

Thanks very much for your prompt and informative replies. They are very much appreciated. We depart Australia this Sunday and have 6 nights in Scotland during our time in the UK. Yes...we are going from the height of our summer to the depths of your winter so we might just snap-freeze when we get off the plane :-) Thanks again.

UK
Level Contributor
3,265 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating Out in Glasgow

Yes. the weather here has been very cold recently. So far though, no real signs of snow - still, there is a long time before summer. Safe travel, I hope you enjoy your stay in Scotland and do let us know about your stay in Glasgow and your choice of restaurants.

Knockentiber...
Level Contributor
648 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating Out in Glasgow

I'm with fifporter on Cafe Gandolphi. Nice atmosphere with good food and not too expensive.

It has just crept above freezing the last couple of days.

Enjoy yourselves.

Italy
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating Out in Glasgow

Yes Cafe Gandolfi is good.On a recent trip to Glasgow I ate at The Sisters restaurant----they have now opened another one just across from the old Lorne hotel. It was really good. High quality scottish products with a nice twist.

Excellent service and good value for money.

Would highly recommend it.