We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Glasgow really as dangerous as it sounds?

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
CA
3 posts
Save Topic
Is Glasgow really as dangerous as it sounds?

Hey all,

I'm an American thinking of doing my postgrad studies in Glasgow (I'm applying to University of Glasgow). I've been reading all these articles calling Glasgow the most dangerous city in Europe and statistics that say that 75% of the residents believe it's not safe to go out after dark, etc, etc. Are things really that bad? Or is the violence mainly restricted to certain parts of town (like it is in many US cities)? My impression is that the East End is the bad side of town while the rest of the city is pretty safe- am I correct?

Thanks!

Annan, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Is Glasgow really as dangerous as it sounds?

I think we're all getting off point here to be honest.

Every major city in the world has its bad areas, as you all know, and Glasgow is no exception to that. I come from one of the so called "worst areas" of Glasgow originally (Milton in the north) where all different types of people live, not just the "bad ones" :-) and my mum still lives there. And the same can be said for the East End (which actually has some very nice bits) and Drumchapel in the west and Castlemilk in the southside.

RQPC was wanting to know as a student would he be safe...... well as a student at Glasgow Uni he'd most likely be spending most of his time in the West End and City Centre, so I'd say yes, you will be perfectly safe and probably more so than where you come from (ie no guns!!).

Keep yer wits aboot ye (as we would say) as you would in ANY city. If you see a group of Neds (local youth types, usually easy to spot by their "sportswear" and bottles of Buckfast) hanging about, avoid them!! If you see a fight in progress, stay away from it!!! etc etc etc Basic commonsense.

A previous poster said that the concept of Glaswegians being some of the friendliest people in the world was laughable.......... well I find THAT comment laughable!!! They really are!! And I've even (shock! horror!) met a few friendly, nice Neds in my time too!!!

I really hope you get your chance to go and study in Glasgow, please dont be put off by any negative comments here, make your own mind up!

And let us know how you get on!

Good Luck!

Katt xxx

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
382 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: Is Glasgow really as dangerous as it sounds?

It was me who gave you the 'laugh' about my belief that Glasgow people are far from especially friendly.

That's an urban myth.

Glasgow, like Liverpool, is overwhelmed with, in your words, NEDs.

Its recently been published that Glasgow is the new 'king' of the gang, i.e. more gang members per head of population in the country.

So, its perfectly safe in the city centre? Now you're making me laugh. Try Sauchiehall St on a weekend night, or any night for that member.

One other thing. Ignore any fight? Sorry, I cant do that. If I see an innocent person being attacked, as I have, I feel obliged to step in. Each to their own, though, I guess.

Annan, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Is Glasgow really as dangerous as it sounds?

I actually said ignore the Neds, not the fights...

I also wouldnt stand by and let someone be attacked for no reason no matter where I was in the world. Including where I live now which happens to be a very posh leafy suburb of London where one of my neighbours was brutally attacked outside....

It happens everywhere eh? Not just Sauchiehall St :-)

I agree with you that Sauchiehall St can be a crazy place on a Saturday night but I personally dont find it a completely no go area, but as you say each to their own! I find the large groups of scantily clad drunk young "ladies" and "gentlemen" more of a pain in the backside than a threat but I do see where you are coming from and do understand your point.

Still dont agree with you on the friendly issue tho, think we're just gonna have to agree to disagree on that one!! I've been to Liverpool too quite often and also find those folk very welcoming. Maybe its a background thing.......... I dunno......

I'm sorry you seem to feel that way about most of your fellow Glaswegians :-( But its obviously something you feel quite strongly about so I can only assume you have your reasons.

Katt x

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,825 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: Is Glasgow really as dangerous as it sounds?

["Its recently been published that Glasgow is the new 'king' of the gang, i.e. more gang members per head of population in the country."]

Where was this nonsense published and where did they get their information? No wait a minute, they probably got it from the various gangs' minutes from their annual general meetings, eh?

I am no spring chicken and I have had time to have "a good look aboot" and I can assure you that Glasgow is no worse than any other cities in the UK. The problem is that people post their pre-conceived ideas in these forums rather than personal experiences.

Glasgow, like all major UK cities, has its quota of odious little neds and druggies but they are not apparent everywhere. I have spent three out of the last five Saturday nights in Glasgow with my wife and we haven't seen as much as a hint of a problem.

Granted we catch our last train just after eleven pm and if you want to wander up to clubland in Sauchiehall street from about midnight onwards on a weekend night (and why would you?) you have a fair chance of seeing drunken incidents but very little chance of being involved in one.

Let's get this in perspective. Our poster, RGPC, asked if it was safe to go out after dark in Glasgow. The answer is a resounding yes. It is no more dangerous than anywhere else.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: Is Glasgow really as dangerous as it sounds?

I think that is what the general consensus is, that Yes its pretty safe, but caution is required particularly late at night, as in most big cities.

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: Is Glasgow really as dangerous as it sounds?

Sadly, not only in "big cities". As I mentioned earlier in this debate, I now live in so-called "posh" Lytham St Annes; all zimmer frames and footballers' wives (Man Utd mainly).

Friday and Saturday late evenings are not pleasant in Lytham either. Also, the day we arrived here to live (about 4 years ago), someone was murdered round the corner from us. A few weeks later, someone else was dispatched by baseball bat. As is usual (but not always) in the UK, the victim knew the attacker.

Oxford and Worthing (another zimmer town!), towns where we used to live, were very unpleasant on late weekend evenings.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: Is Glasgow really as dangerous as it sounds?

Hi,

Sad to see you believe any rubbish about this fine city. Thankfully you have the sense to canvas opinions.

Glasgow has been voted recently voted the Friendliest City in the UK by tourists. Who would say this is they felt threatened !!

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,779 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: Is Glasgow really as dangerous as it sounds?

I'm not sure about living there full time but as for having a short break ....

My daughter and her friends went to Glasgow this weekend (first time, never been before) and they loved it. Absolutely loved it. She said they had a great time surrounded by friendly people in the bars and clubs (and the hotel they stayed at), the city centre was great for shopping and people watching and she can't wait to go back.

She is a bit of a party animal so was out aand about until the small hours (well, not so small hours really) of the morning on both Saturday and Sunday and didn't see any problems or trouble.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
382 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: Is Glasgow really as dangerous as it sounds?

Alex,

I haven't personally seen the study regarding the number of gang members. I was quoting what I have both read in the press and seen on TV.

I have a question. Which city is the "murder capital" of Europe?

To help, here's an extract from the Guardian:

Scotland's second city is in fact the murder capital of Europe. Much of the violence is caused by gangs vying to control the city's drugs trade.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: Is Glasgow really as dangerous as it sounds?

I was lucky enough to be up in the big city yesterday. Having a rare senior moment I forgot where I might find the tourist information centre.

I managed to flag down two Community Warden fellas who were rushing past with a look of determination - I think their tea-break beckoned. These guys stopped dead in their tracks, were extremely friendly and helpful, and gave me great directions.

Having spent a while browsing the Tourist Information Centre on George Square I lingered outside the building for a moment, gazing at my shiny new map, when a cheerful lady marched up and asked if she could help in any way. Yes I looked that clueless!!!

OK so I didn't get my big hug from a friendly drunk this time, but it was a good day none-the-less:-)