We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A question re: city streets and neighborhoods of Glasgow

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Albany, New York
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
A question re: city streets and neighborhoods of Glasgow

Greetings all, My partner and I have just booked a self-catered apartment on Bothwell Street as we will be attending a conference at the SECC during the second week of July. My question is: will we be within walking distance to the SECC? I've just checked out the on-line city map...and it looks as if there is a major motorway that divides the city...with Bothwell to the east - and the SECC to the southwest. Also, what neighborhood would that be considered? City Centre? If we cannot get there by foot...is there a city bus? Any suggestions for good guidebooks and maps of the city will also be much appreciated. This will be our first trip to Glasgow (actually, our first trip to Scotland)...and we are really looking forward to it.

Thanking you in advance for any and all help. Cheers! GeeTwo

Renfrew, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A question re: city streets and neighborhoods of Glasgow

Yes, it is walkable from Bothwell Street to the SECC. Maybe around half an hour from the city centre end of Bothwell Street (you didn't say which end of Bothwell Street). Don't worry about the motorway crossing your route as it is passable for pedestrians.

The SECC is in the Finnieston district of Glasgow.

Glasgow Central Railway Station is at the city centre end of Bothwell Street and you can catch a train (from the low level) to Finnieston Station - and from there, there is a covered walkway directly into the SECC.

The only bad thing about walking from Bothwell Street (in the city centre) - apart from the weather - is, if you're doing it at night you'll be slap bang in the middle of the 'red light area'.

If you're a male on your own, you'll get propositioned loads of times (obviously just say no thanks and walk on), but if you're with a female, they won't talk to you.

Renfrew, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A question re: city streets and neighborhoods of Glasgow

Meant to say above, if you're waiting until you get here before you buy your maps and guide books, there are plenty of options.

For example WH Smith have branches in Sauchiehall Street and Argyll Street and there are stalls in the Central Station, and newsagent shops will also sell local maps.

Whenever I go abroad (I'm not long back from San Fran) I'll always buy a "Rough Guide to ... " and you'll be able to buy a "Rough Guide" on Glasgow as well.

Hope this helps.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: A question re: city streets and neighborhoods of Glasgow

Thankyou Gorcat! I don't know which end of Bothwell the flat is located on...all I know is the number (#160) -- any idea? Another query: you mentioned that if we walk from Bothwell to the SECC at night, we'll walk straight though the Red Light District (or as we call it back home in Boston, MA: "The combat zone")...now I'm a bit worried! Is Bothwell located directly IN the red-light district?? Aaargh...that much excitement we're really not ready for! Does that mean that the street is really dark, scarey, noisy and dangerous? It's so hard to rent a flat when you don't really know the city; which is why I'm asking all these questions -- if it is a shady part of town, I still have time to cancel the reservation without forfeiting any money. I'm sure my husband would find it amusing though...he thought the Red Light District in Amsterdam was "enlightening". Funny that you should mention San Fran...we're going there straight from Glasgow to yet another conference! We rent a flat there whenever we visit (on Nob Hill)....great place at a really reasonable rate. If you're interested...just ask and I'll give you the website. Thanks for all your help. GeeTwo

Renfrew, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A question re: city streets and neighborhoods of Glasgow

Yes, unless it's changed in the past few months, I'd say that Bothwell Street - much to the annoyance of female office workers - is in the red light district.

Not the absolute centre, but if I was to drive into the centre of Glasgow just now, to maybe drop one of my kids off at the station, then I'd have to drive down Bothwell Street and I'd be able to see a few girls.

I know exactly where your accommodation is.

The main police headquarters is just along the road - and Glasgow is monitored by cctv, so you should be safe enough.

I regularly walked through the Tenderloin in San Fran, without any trouble - and where you are staying is nothing like that.

In saying that - I'd recommend friends to stay in the West End of Glasgow - just for the atmosphere and selection of pubs and restauarants.

Why did you decide on a flat instead of a hotel?

It would be interesting to find out the address of your San Fran web site that you mentioned.

I'm returning there in July, with my girlfriend.

We're booked in at The Handlery at Union Square.

Then we're going to drive to Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Death Valley, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon then back across to the coast to stay at Monterey, then return to San Fran to meet some friends before flying home.

We're really looking forward to it.

By the way - wherever you are in Glasgow (Bothwell St or wherever) you'll be made very welcome.

Glasgow is very friendly to visitors.

Renfrew, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A question re: city streets and neighborhoods of Glasgow

ps meant to say that in my opinion, Bothwell Street is not dark scary or dangerous.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: A question re: city streets and neighborhoods of Glasgow

The 'ladies of the night' don't really come out to play until much later on, and apparently they are moving out towards Glagow Green these days anyway.

I work on York Street down at the Broomielaw (as near to the heart of the red light district as you can just about get) and in the 6 years I've been here I have been asked on only one occasion if I've been looking for business and that was when I had to stay in work late and was walking to the station at about 10.30.

Bothwell Street is absolutely fine for staying in - don't worry about it. It's certainly a walking distance to the SECC and as had already been said you don't need to worry about the motorway - there are plenty of streets that pass underneath the motorway.

The quckest way to walk to the SECC would maybe be to go down Blythswood Street until you get to the Broomielaw and the turn right and it's a straight road all the way to the SECC. This would take you through the red light district though so avoid it if it's after about 9.30/10pm. If you want to avoid it altogether then maybe walk along St Vincent Street till you get to Finnieston Street, turn left and that will take you down to the SECC.

Hope this helps,

Craig

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: A question re: city streets and neighborhoods of Glasgow

Good grief....I'm making a mess of this ...this is my third attempt to reply to Gorcat and Craigyboy. Here goes...(the first two messages must be floating around the ethosphere). First, thank you both for your info. Second, we have another rental option, this time in what is hopefully the West End. Do the street names Cleveden Crescent, Cleveden Road, and Byres Road mean anything to you guys? And third...the place in San Fran can be viewed at www.grosvenorsuites.com...ask for a Bay-view studio on the upper floors (we like #1710). I hope this message finally gets through! It would appear to be true...Glaswegians really ARE incredibly friendly and helpful. Thanks again. GeeTwo

Renfrew, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A question re: city streets and neighborhoods of Glasgow

GeeTwo,

Thanks for the San Fran address.

I've booked my accommodation for July, but I'll be returning next summer - and the address you gave may come in handy.

Byres Road is in the heart of the West End.

It's near Glasgow University - and therefore there are lots and lots of restaurants and bars - with quite a few of them 'hidden' away in side streets and alleys eg Ashton Lane, Ruthven Lane etc

It's quite lively and friendly.

I go there often, either with friends or just with my girlfriend - and I aint a spring chicken :)

You'll enjoy it there + it's just a short ride to the city centre in the underground if you want a change of scenery.

However, the underground trains close down around 11pm, although there are plenty of buses and taxis

Cleveden Crescent etc isn't too far away from Byres Road. It's in a nice area of the city - and no red light district either :)

Glasgow
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: A question re: city streets and neighborhoods of Glasgow

I'd agree - Byres Road is a nicer area. You've got some excellent restaurants there too (I'd recommend the Ubiquitous Chip on Ashton Lane) and plenty of nice pubs etc. Byres Road is further away from the SECC though but still it's still a walkable distance if it's a pleasant evening. Public transport isn't great once the subway's have stopped but a taxi into Glasgow City centre wouldn't cost you too much.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: A question re: city streets and neighborhoods of Glasgow

Gorcat and Craigyboy, You guys are the best! Thanks so much for all your help. I am now about to book the West End studio, as it sounds like a wiser choice. In answer to an earlier question of yours Gorcat, we prefer to rent flats rather than stay in hotels or B&Bs because we like to feel as if we're really getting to "know" a place when we visit it; shopping for groceries, hitting local pubs (rather than overpriced hotel lounges), basically feeling like locals rather than tourists. (And to be really honest...it usually works out to be far more economical in the long run.) Another reason is that when you stay in a flat - you are not at the mercy of hotel schedules....no racing to make breakfast on time...or having to wander about the lobby whilst room service is making up the bed. I hope you do try the place in San Fran - just ask the desk clerk where the local supermarket is (don't buy at the small shops nearby, they are all highway robbers!), and there is the fabulous Whole Foods Market just a short trolley ride away. San Fran is THE most fabulous city in the entire U.S. - I lived there in my wild and wooly youth (and yes, I did wear flowers in my hair!) See...I ain't no spring chicken either! Since my husband and I are academics....staying in the Glasgow University area will be both comfortable and familiar. One last question: I noticed that you both mentioned "the weather".....so, is it safe to assume that bringing warm layers of clothing and some decent Gortex raingear a must? We will be in your fair city during the second and third weeks of July.....would it be incredibly optimistic to pack a swimsuit and shorts? We lived in The Netherlands for a year, two years back, and were astounded to find that it stayed light until 11:00 P.M. (or would that be 23 O'clock?) Can we expect the same long days in Glasgow? I'm off to book that studio flat. Thank you, thank you. Best, GeeTwo