We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day in Glasgow

6 posts
Day in Glasgow

I'm travelling from Aberdeen by car to Neilston and treating my mum to a day in Glasgow. I'd like to take her to the newly restored tearooms and we have tickets for the tramway theatre in the evening. What's the best travel option for our day out given that my mum can't walk a great distance?

Edited: 4:12 am, September 16, 2018
10 replies to this topic
glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
13,548 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: Day in Glasgow

You have several options.

Neilston has a great train service into Glasgow Central, one every 30 minutes taking just 29 mins.

The bonus is that it stops at Polloksheilds East, which is right next door to the Tramway, although there is one flight of stairs up to the street.

So therefore you could take the train into Central, have Tea, Shopping Etc, Train 1 Stop back to Polloksheilds East, theatre, then Train back to Neilston.

The beauty of this option is you don’t have to worry about Parking in town or try and negotiate Bus Lanes Etc.

You don’t say how immobile/mobile your Mother is?

The Tea Rooms are on Sauchiehall St which is Pedestrianised, so parking near it would involve a walk anyway!

Could she walk from Central to Sauchiehall St?

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
127 reviews
2. Re: Day in Glasgow

That sounds lovely.

Good ideas from Madscotsman.

Also, if you want to take your car into town, you could park in Buchanan Galleries car park which while not cheap does not have any time limit on parking and is fairly handy for the tea rooms. You could then drop your mum off at the Tramway and park nearby on the street.

Do you have any other things planned?

Cambuslang, Scotland
Level Contributor
124 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Day in Glasgow

Does your mother have a blue badge? If so, you can park at any meter, for free, and get very close to the places you intend visiting. There are always loads of free spaces at meters, as on street parking is far too expensive for most people, otherwise.

Edited: 2:10 pm, September 16, 2018
6 posts
4. Re: Day in Glasgow

Thank you all so much for your very helpful posts. They give me lots of options and will help make our trip very enjoyable. :)

6 posts
5. Re: Day in Glasgow

That sounds like a good idea. My mum would certainly manage to walk that far. My only concern would be that we'd be able to get a late train back to Neilston after the theatre. I'll have a look at the timetables and check.

6 posts
6. Re: Day in Glasgow

Thank you for the parking advice. I'm a bit nervous about driving in Glasgow itself but might have a go if I can't get a late train back to Neilston as Madscotsman suggests. I don't want to plan too much in case my mum needs to rest a lot and we will probably wait to go in to the city centre until after the rush. She likes cultural visits, too, so maybe there's a museum nearby we could go to.

Edited: 3:04 am, September 17, 2018
glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
13,548 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: Day in Glasgow

22:10, 22:40 And 23:10 are your last Trains from Polloksheilds East to Neilston.

Theatres usually finish at around 10’ish, so if you are quick off the mark the 22:10 is a possibility and the 22:40 if not.

As I said the Station is literally next door to the Tramway.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
139 posts
8. Re: Day in Glasgow

Hi.

We were there for one day to, whit our baby at the time and, we did this itinerary, i think it can help you to program your day:

https:/…the-best-of-glasgow-in-one-day.html

have a great trip

6 posts
9. Re: Day in Glasgow

Many thanks! :)

6 posts
10. Re: Day in Glasgow

Thank you. The cathedral looks very interesting. :)

Reply to: Day in Glasgow
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted