We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glasgow street markets?

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
252 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Glasgow street markets?

When we visit Glasgow I would love to visit some street markets, perhaps one of you will be kind enough to advise on same & where they are situated?

Thanks, Bunty.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,982 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glasgow street markets?

Tha Barras is huge. Open Saturdays and Sundays in the east end. It's 90% tat IMHO but there's always the other 10%. Full of characters and a good way to spend a morning.

Dumbarton,Scotland
Level Contributor
213 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Glasgow street markets?

You will enjoy "The Barras" as it is better known.You can buy all sorts of stuff there from absolute junk that you can`t imagine anyone buying to suites and carpets and clothes and pirate computer software and everything under the sun. One word of warning, if anyone is selling cheap vodka and whisky do not buy it regardless of how tempting the price is. The tobacco on sale is also a bit dodgy I do believe.

If your lucky you will see the police raiding the market and watch the "illegal" traders disappear as if by magic. It`s very entertaining.

The Barras is situated in the east end of the city centre. Where are you staying and I will give you directions to find it although you can`t really miss it. Just walk along Argyle street on to the Trongate and there it is. There is great wee shop on the Trongate just across the road from Capone`s the wallpaper shop that sells great tablet and maccaroons and those caramel cakes you used to get in school dinners.

Hope you have a great holiday.

Cherrs,

Gordy.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
252 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glasgow street markets?

Hi Gordy,

We will be staying at the Ibis.

Thanks, Bunty

Dumbarton,Scotland
Level Contributor
213 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Glasgow street markets?

Hi Bunty,

I am assuming,correct me if I`m wrong,that yours is a girly party and shoping will be high on your agenda. If it is then the ideal route from your hotel to the Barras should satisfy all your shopping needs. You can cut up about 2 streets onto Sauchiehall street walk along that to the end bringing you to Buchanan street, walk down to the bottom of Buchanan street until you come to Argyle street. Turn left onto Argyle street and just keep walking. This will take you to the Barras. It will probably take you all day as all the main shops lie on this route as well as the John Lewis centre at the top of Buchanan street. There are lots of places for refreshments along the way be it Chinese or Italian restuarants, coffee houses, pub lunches or whatever you fancy.

NOT my idea of fun I must admit (Ihate shopping) but I am sure you will have a great time. If there are too many shops for one day you can split it as most of the shops are open on Sunday as well.

All the best.

Gordy.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
252 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glasgow street markets?

I really appreciate your kindness.

Thanks,

Bunty