We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glasgow was a revelation

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
515 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Glasgow was a revelation

We booked a short break in Glasgow without really knowing what to expect, my husband had some family history there but neither of us had been before and we just picked it "because it was there", it was one of the few major UK cities we hadn't visited. We had a great time! The only Big Thing we did was Kelvingrove Museum (which was excellent) and the rest of the time we just enjoyed wandering the streets admiring the architecture and browsing the shops. Food was good, with special mention for The Bothy just off Byres Road and Non Viet on Sauchiehall Street. Everyone we met was really friendly and chatty, we live in Sheffield which prides itself on its friendliness but Glasgow outshine it by a long way. We'll be back, we've already booked the same flat for a couple of days next March and looking forward to it :)

24 replies to this topic
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1 post
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glasgow was a revelation

Glasgow is great. We went there last year for a few days and it would be great to go back. We did not have time to do much.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,935 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glasgow was a revelation

Yep a lot of people are surprised by Glasgow in a good way. Very diverse interesting city but shh.. don't tell everyone or else they will all want to come.

Had a very nice meal in The Bothy pre Christmas last year.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
13,390 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glasgow was a revelation

Glad you enjoyed it.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
11,315 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glasgow was a revelation

Great to hear you enjoyed it. It's probably much neglected on the tourist route because visitors tend to flock to Edinburgh and then off round the Highlands. Well done Glasgow!

Perth, United...
Level Contributor
2,839 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Glasgow was a revelation

Always good to know people had a good time. The Bothy is on my list of places to avoid but glad you enjoyed it.

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
1,663 posts
661 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glasgow was a revelation

I went to Glasgow many years ago for a Stuart Adamson tribute concert at Barrowlands. Was a really beatifull city, the architecture was amazing. loved the Modern art gallery, all the Charles Rennie Macintosh stuff, loved going the clockwork orange train. The only slightly disturbing point was when we witnessed a orange march. Had Haggis in batter.

Really want to go back again, one of the best cities in the UK I have ever been to, hoping to go when Big country play there.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
4,980 posts
529 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glasgow was a revelation

It's a great city, some really wonderful architecture, great buzz and yes, friendly locals! And with all the amazing Charles Rennie Mackintosh sites, there's nowhere quite like Glasgow.

I love Kelvingrove, often just pop over to admire some favourites and then a coffee and cake in Kember and Jones or the Hidden Tearoom.

Thanks for posting!

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Glasgow was a revelation

Glad you enjoyed it. Conversely, I'd like to visit Sheffield, especially drinking my way round Kelham Island.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
15,040 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Glasgow was a revelation

Lovely feedback. Glad you enjoyed Glasgow. There's always something new to discover which is handy if you intend making return visits. I've just spent a rather lovely day discovering the south side which I don't know very well at all! Haste ye back. 😊.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
515 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Glasgow was a revelation

David, I hope you enjoy Sheffield but you may find it a bit shabby compared to Glasgow. I'm not a beer drinker but Kelham Island is one of the more interesting areas, the city centre on the other hand has suffered from some very unsympathetic redevelopment and is a bit depressing. There are some pleasant suburbs out to the south west of the city where it leads out to the Peak District but there's nothing that compares to Glasgow's West End.

Reply to: Glasgow was a revelation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted