We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shoes for Fife Coastal Walk

Rancho Palos...
Level Contributor
268 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Shoes for Fife Coastal Walk

I will be in St. Andrews for a few days in mid-June and love to walk. Planning on walking 5 or 6 miles of the Fife Coastal Walk. I'm curious if sneakers are appropriate or if I should bring my hiking shoes? I kind of hate to haul them all that way for a one day walk, but will if necessary. By the way, after St. Andrews we will be going to Edinburgh, so perhaps they will come in handy there?

Thank you!

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,803 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shoes for Fife Coastal Walk

I'm not sure what you man by sneakers tbh. Something like tennis shoes? If so you'll 'probably' be ok if the weather's dry and there's not been much rain. If it's wet you'll be better with proper walking shoes. Most of the walk is flat but there are a few steep bits over the cliffs. Do you know which part you're going to walk?

Rancho Palos...
Level Contributor
268 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shoes for Fife Coastal Walk

I don't know which way I'll head and thought I'd check at the hotel when I arrive. I did read that one way was a little more slippery than the other, so I'll probably choose the other way. And yes, by sneakers I mean tennis shoes or running shoes, etc. Probably will bring hiking shoes just to be safe, as they have the best grip.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shoes for Fife Coastal Walk

There's a world of difference between road running shoes and XC running shoes - and grip is important of you end up on muddy surfaces or wet grassy slopes. ANd most runners expect to end with wet feet because there isn;'t much leeway when water/mud/whatever splashes up.

In June you're quite likely to get some decent dry weather and hence conditions underfoot would be good - but dont rely on it.

It's not that the path will be 'difficult' - it's just the possibility it might be soggy.

You might find walkhighlands.co.uk/fife-stirling/fife-coast… useful - stages 9 and 10 cover both sides of St Andrews. There are descriptions, and if you click through there are maps. It'll give you a better idea of the terrain. (e.g. the first few miles northwards from St Andrews follows a road, for example. So easy, but roadside walking is probably not why you're doing this)

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shoes for Fife Coastal Walk

Edinburgh walking: many people head up Arthur's Seat, height about 800 feet. Shoes with some grip recommended. And there's the Water of Leith Walkway running from Balerno on the edge of the Pentland Hills, all the way to Leith. 13 miles if you're ambitious, but there's a nice section running through the north centre of the city and it can be used to connect together a number of venues: the Galleries of Modern Art, the architecture of Dean Village, Stockbridge, the Botanic Gardens, then down to Leith, ending on The Shore with nice cafes and restaurants.

Some parts of the path are easy - tarmacced tracks, well made paths etc - but a few parts are muddy and I'd want something better than ordinary shoes.

Rancho Palos...
Level Contributor
268 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shoes for Fife Coastal Walk

Derek, you're info is very helpful. The Water of Leith Walkway sounds nice too. I'm crossing my fingers for nice weather! I'm from sunny Southern California and we have very little rain! Thank you so much for the info and for your time.

6. Re: Shoes for Fife Coastal Walk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 03, 2015