We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see around St. Andrews and how to best see Scotland?

Georgia
Level Contributor
18 posts
249 reviews
Save Topic
What to see around St. Andrews and how to best see Scotland?

Greetings friends! We will be going to Scotland Summer 2013 and will be staying in Saint Andrews for a week. I will be hanging around while my daughter is taking a class at the University of Saint Andrews. A few questions please! All input appreciated!

1. What would you recommend I do during the day while in Saint Andrews? Any day trips? We would like to see castles, scenery, villages, etc.

2. Would you recommend any horseriding places around Saint Andrews? Would that be a great way to get around?

3. Should we go to the Military Tattoo in Edinburgh? Any tips on where to stay/eat for the Tattoo?

4. If we only have 2-3 days to see Scotland outside of Saint Andrews, what would you recommend? A bus tour? We want to enjoy the best of it since we may only get to go this once. Our interests would be villages, shopping, cafes, castles, scenery, theatre (bringing my 15 year old daughter who loves theatre and singing/music).

Many thanks! :)Becky

Georgia
Level Contributor
18 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: What to see around St. Andrews and how to best see Scotland?

OH WOW W! GREAT suggestion! Thanks a million and Goodwitch, thanks! I have tickets to see Edinburgh castle so I think skipping Fort William would really help ...I think I will go straight to Isle of Skye! Thanks a million you two! I just really appreciate it! Noting all of this! Hugs from South Carolina, USA! :)Becky

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: What to see around St. Andrews and how to best see Scotland?

I'd agree about the joys of Fort William. Either stop earlier in Glencoe or carry on further. Fort Willaim is a stepping off place for lots of people who like mountains but isn;t attractive.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: What to see around St. Andrews and how to best see Scotland?

There are multiple ways of getting to Skye. The approach by the A87 to Kyle of Lochalsh is the 'obvious' one, but the alternative is to head via Fort William to Mallaig and then there is a 30-minute ferry to Skye.

Sky itself needs 2 nights minimum if you are going to do it justice. Famed for its mountains, for Dunvegan Castle, a whisky distillery, and a lot more.

The best views of the Cuillins can be combined with a sea trip looking for wildlife (eagles and other birds, otters, various small whales, maybe a basking shark) if you go to Elgol. The boat trip sets you ashore at Loch Coruisk which is unlike anywhere you will have seen before.

I know your time is limited but you're still at the planning stage therefore a real recommendation.

Georgia
Level Contributor
18 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: What to see around St. Andrews and how to best see Scotland?

GREAT feedback Derek! Thank you so, so much!

35. Re: What to see around St. Andrews and how to best see Scotland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, January 03, 2014