We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golfing in/around St. Andrews

Which St. Andrews hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chandler, Arizona
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Golfing in/around St. Andrews

I am trying to play St Andrews Old Course and Kingsbarns as a single. I will be in the area midweek of late April. What is the best way to get on these courses and if I have time, what other course should I play?

Essex
Level Contributor
27,032 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golfing in/around St. Andrews

You need to book ahead

standrews.org.uk/Playing-golf-in-St-Andrews.…

Virginia
Level Contributor
915 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Golfing in/around St. Andrews

As far as I know, there's only one way to get on the Old Course as a single. You show up at the starter's, first thing in the morning, and he uses all the singles to fill in empty spots in the rotation. I understand that the people holding the tee times have a choice of whether to allow additional players to join them, but I'm sure most will be accommodating. I don't have any idea what time to tell you to show up, but you might stop by in the afternoon you arrive and ask the starter. From what I've heard, you should have a pretty good chance at success in April. For Kingsbarns, I'd simply contact them and ask. Email and phone numbers are available on their website.

There are lots of other excellent golf courses in the area, I know you can find references if you search the Fife forum. I've played at the New Course, right next to the Old, at Lundin, and at Panmure, and enjoyed every one. I've heard good things about Crail, Elie, and LEven as well, and none are more than an hour drive. They're also budget-friendly, half the price (or even less) than Kingsbarns. If you're interested, I posted a rather long trip report of my visit to Scotland this past May in the Golf Vacation forum.

Enjoy your visit, St. Andrews is a magical place.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golfing in/around St. Andrews

Essex Wander - only groups of 2 or more can book ahead. Singles can not advance book any of the courses of the Links Trust (well, there is an exception to that for advance applications in September, but that just complicates the issue here).

Dave is quite correct. Singles have to rely on 'walk-up' times by going to the Starter and Dave gives good advice on this. You can also try for a 'walk-up' time on the New or Jubilee courses, neither of which will need an early start to get in line.

Kingsbarns and many other courses will book you on in advance as a single - if they have a 2 or a 3 they can match you up with. Crail, Leven and Lundin are all around half an hour's drive from St Andrews and any of them should be pretty enjoyable to play.

Virginia
Level Contributor
915 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Golfing in/around St. Andrews

Hawk, if you're not familiar with the area, I'll recommend a website that is specifically addressed to independant golfers like you.

http://www.golfnook.com/StAArea.htm

The Golf Nook offers recommendations for lodging, dining, and non-golf attractions, as well as reviews of a dozen or more golf courses in the St. Andrews area.

Chandler, Arizona
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Golfing in/around St. Andrews

Thank you for the information. I get in to St. Andrews around two on a Tuesday afternoon. I will head over to the starter and see what he has for the following day and then try to play Kingsbarns. If I get on at St. Andrews the following day, I may try to play Carnoustie on Thursday. I imagine the same would apply there as it does to St. Andrews. Get there early and hope to get paired up. Can anyone recommend a few local whisky bars in St. Andrews? I will be coming from three days in Speyside and want to continue on with my education!

Virginia
Level Contributor
915 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Golfing in/around St. Andrews

I don't know specifically about whisky, but I did try to sample as many of the pubs as I could while I was there. It seemed like most places had a pretty good selection of whisky, but I'm more a beer drinker, My favourites were the Central, in Market Street, and the Whey Pat, on Bridge Street just outside the old Westport. The Whey Pat had the best selection of cask ales, hand pumped and fresh. Mind you, they're not as frigid as many Americans prefer, and not very carbonated, but I loved them.

Do you know where you're staying, or do you need a suggestion for that as well?

Chandler, Arizona
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Golfing in/around St. Andrews

I like the beer there as well. We are staying at the Bell Craig, which looked like it was close to the old course. Have you heard of this place? It seems to get middle of the road reviews.

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
8,818 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Golfing in/around St. Andrews

The Bell Craig is in an excellent location and very close to The Old Course and R & A - but I haven't stayed there.

I have had the Westport Bar recommended to me so plan to try it next time I am in St.Andrews.

3 days in Speyside and then golf??? I think the courses will seem a long walk after that!!

Cheers

Woody x

Essex
Level Contributor
27,032 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Golfing in/around St. Andrews

Oh duh!! Sorry folks, didn't know the rules were different for singles compared to others, thanks gogolfing for the correction!! Would never want to steer anyone wrong.

I knew you had to book (usually) but frankly, too lazy to read the smallprint!!

Used to play golf when young. For various reasons - like those proposed by Mark Twain, I hate playing!! However I like watching the good players, when in the mood, and gained enough appreciation of the subtleties to know a good shot when I see one!!

Hope you get a good game hawk88, however you manage it, and please pay attention to the better advice that other posters have given!

Virginia
Level Contributor
915 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Golfing in/around St. Andrews

I don't know the Bell Craig from personal experience, but we stayed at Burness House, which is right around the corner. We're headed back in June, staying at the Craigmore House, also in the same neighborhood. Its a great location, convenient to pretty much everything. Woody, we had drinks and starters at the Westport one evening on our trip. We had a good meal, I'd not hesitate to go back. There is a really pleasant room downstairs (below street level) with comfortable sofas and easy chairs which turned out to be perfect for a group of 8. Looking at their website, I see they advertise a nice selection of malts.