We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non-touristy shopping - St Andrews, Dundee....

Farmington...
Level Contributor
98 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Non-touristy shopping - St Andrews, Dundee....

This is not a typical touristy shopping question ;-) My daughter will be starting at St Andrews University in September and I am going with her to help her move in and settle. Since we are coming from the States, we won't be able to bring much other than personal belongings. So I need recommendations on places where we can shop for dorm room stuff like bed linens, clothes hamper, alarm clock, etc. as well as hair dryer and other toiletries. We will not have a car so I was thinking about taking the bus/train to Dundee or some other larger town nearby. Here in the States we would shop at Ikea, Bed Bath & Beyond, Kohls, Marshalls, TJMaxx, etc. just to give you an idea of what types of stores I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Anstruther, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Non-touristy shopping - St Andrews, Dundee....

Hi Izeve,

All of the St Andrews shops suggested are good ideas: there are plenty of thrift stores here, and the best non-thrift homeware stores can be found on South Street: Argos, M&Co, but also don't forget Mica homestore, which is at the other end, opposite Abbey Street, near the Cathedral. It stocks pretty much everything a house needs! There's also a store called 'Pots and Pans' on Church Street, which is good for kitchenware.

You'll definitely find everything you need in St Andrews.

The other thing is that shipping charges within the UK are much less expensive (and often free), from department stores such as John Lewis, Debenhams, Marks & Spencer and BHS. You could view online and order what you want, and have it arrive to St Andrews shortly after you do.

Good luck!

12. Re: Non-touristy shopping - St Andrews, Dundee....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, October 09, 2012