We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disgusting price rip-offs from two indian restaurants!

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,508 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Disgusting price rip-offs from two indian restaurants!

Rare for me to post here but I was so angry with Balaka & Jahinga Indian restaurants during Open Championshp weekend, they more than doubled their prices for the 4-days - pure greed!

Already fairly expensive restaurants, they were usual prices early in the week but by Thursday the 'same' menu suddenly had no starter less than £4.95 and no curry without rice for less than £15.95! Every dish highly inflated, over £5 for a side bahjee etc.

A meal for two in Balaka cost £55 on the prior Sunday, I estimated the same meal over Open Championship would have been £125, I heard but not confirmed that a cobra beer was also being charged at £9 a bottle. We walked out of Balaka after ordering a beer and viewing the menu having complained to the manager and refused to order at those prices..

Thankfully the new evening only Indian in South St. (Chilli and Pepper? ), retained normal prices throughout. First time I've eaten there and I have to say I'm really glad, it's far superior to Balaka and Jahinga so the latter two have shot themselves in the foot by losing regular customers.

I'll tell all I know about the pricing, I wish the new restaurant every success and recommend it above Balaka & Jahinga, not only on quality and quantity but the manager has some moral backbone not trying to make a quick buck by ripping off golf visitors.

I'd like to also recommend The Grill House, an old favourite that managed to keep service, prices and quality the same throughout the week, great service, fine steaks & ribs - highly recommended!

I hope this interests some.

Stoofer

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,049 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disgusting price rip-offs from two indian restaurants!

Good for you Stoofer.

alloa, scotland
Level Contributor
85 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disgusting price rip-offs from two indian restaurants!

we are up at st andrews 5 or 6 times a year, just love the place, could walk the west sands with my dogs everyday for the rest of my life...........

the grill house is a great lttle place

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
11,151 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disgusting price rip-offs from two indian restaurants!

Was the taxi fares inflated as well Stoof?

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,879 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disgusting price rip-offs from two indian restaurants!

I wouldn't be a happy bunny either. Did you write reviews for both restaurants?

california
Level Contributor
792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Disgusting price rip-offs from two indian restaurants!

It's not uncommon for Hotels, B&B's and places to eat to jack up prices during high demand times.

Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
187 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disgusting price rip-offs from two indian restaurants!

And it wasn't just Indian restaurants although the Grill House was still great value as was the Tailend.

I shall be doing reviews soon

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,508 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Disgusting price rip-offs from two indian restaurants!

Madscot,

Dunno, I was staying in town so did'nt use them, I don't think so, in fact most places & services stayed with competitive prices, apart from the usual hotel & rental costs for houses.

Dodger

I don't know of many other restaurants in St Andrews that inflated prices, and certainly not over double price. All my usual 'haunts' remained the same price though I didn't use them this week.- Vine Leaf, Ziggy's, Littlejohns, Dolls House,, etc etc. Not to menton all the small eating places frequented by golf visitors year round. So no I don't accept that there is any excuse for Balaka and Jahingar, I could even accept a small increase but £25 for a basic rogan josh with rice & bread? Then sting you for drinks and side orders? You've got to be joking!

I don't normally post reviews as (imo) they go out of date, but the guy that owns Dolls House & The Grill House has two quality places at fair prices and year long. I've long noted Grill House serves the best baby back ribs I've had in UK! :-).

Stoofer

Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
187 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disgusting price rip-offs from two indian restaurants!

In response to the above - The Dolls House changed their menu (and prices) on the Tuesday of Open week.

Having been on the Monday I will not be rushing back.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,508 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Disgusting price rip-offs from two indian restaurants!

Overlooking

As far as I saw ( I never ate there ) the menu changed yes, offering different fare but that's quite different to doubling the price on the same menu. It seemed the same offerings as occasional 'gourmet nights' and set meal' nights at other times of the year - no?

It's owned by the same guy as The Grill House, if you had a bad meal I'm sure he'd like to hear about it, do report your experience.

Has anyone been to The Glass House another from the same stable?

Not I.

Stoofer

Edited: 5:02 pm, July 20, 2010
Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,992 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disgusting price rip-offs from two indian restaurants!

You shuuld make sure all of the locals know about this.