We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking with a golfer

Which St. Andrews hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
2 posts
Save Topic
walking with a golfer

My husband and I are planning a golf vacation this summer. I do not golf. Will I be able to walk along with him as he plays St. Andrews? Thank you!

Virginia
Level Contributor
915 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: walking with a golfer

I'm pretty sure that you'll be welcome to walk along. I'm starting to plan my own trip, and I'm sure read that walk-alongs were accepted, but I can't find the website for your reference. Its been 20 years since I was there, and I played the New Course. After shopping for a bit in town, my wife tried to figure out where I was and when I'd be finished. The starter at the New Course encouraged her to walk out on the course and find me.

Good luck with your trip, be sure to report back here when you get home.

Maryland
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: walking with a golfer

Thank you! I'm hoping I can walk with him. I've emailed a couple of the courses for info but haven't heard back so thanks again.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: walking with a golfer

Generally all that courses will be concerned about is that any non-golfers do not get in the way of the golfers in the group and respect standard golf etiquette, such as staying quiet at appropriate moments and not getting in the way of a shot or put. You shouldn't have any problems walking with your husband.

And if the other golfers in the group are also visitors they may even appreciate having someone to take a few photographs for them!

los angeles
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: walking with a golfer

I have a similar situation coming up in the next few days. I will be playing the old course and would like my wife to be able to walk some of the holes with me. I also sought guidance on the web but could not find any rules about this. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Further, I have been in contact with the old course and they tell me that it should not be difficult for a single to get on the course in March. Is this true? I assume I bring my proof of handicap and talk to the starter in the morning.

Virginia
Level Contributor
915 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: walking with a golfer

For london32010, if you check out the St Andrews Trust website:

standrews.org.uk/Playing-golf-in-St-Andrews/…

you'll find out that you have it exactly right. Just go to the starter in the morning. If you check tomorrow's ballot, you'll see that there are several two-balls and three-balls in which you might be asked to join, and even a few totally empty times. Good luck

St...
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: walking with a golfer

Today was my husband's 60th birthday and he easily joined the group as a single, just by talking with "Charlie" in the golf pro shop- He brought his handicap, and they checked, but there was absolutely no problem what so ever. He rented equipment as it was too difficult to travel with clubs and had a great time and got a par on the "Road Hole." ...I acted impressed ...His group then invited him to a special, Members Only and Men only club for a beer- A terrific day for him!!! I was going to go to the workout class but decided against it- I was invited to walk the course but decided to stay warm and stay inside-

Hope you have a terrific experience!!!!

7. Re: walking with a golfer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, September 08, 2010