We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seafood in St Andrews

Carrollton, GA
Level Contributor
584 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Seafood in St Andrews

Are there any restaurants in St Andrews which specialize in seafood? Thanks. John

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,603 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seafood in St Andrews

You could try "The Seafood Restaurant"

http://www.theseafoodrestaurant.com/

Clayton, North...
Level Contributor
81 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seafood in St Andrews

JHA,

The Seafood Restaurant is what it says. A friend and I ate there in 2005 and in my opinion is not worth the money we laid out for the meal.. Maybe I should elaborate..The food was excellent and the views, atmosphere, and wait staff can not be beat. This is what I would call "Fine Dining", in other words it was way overpriced for the amount of food and factor in the weak dollar and a few cocktails and it turned out to be a very expensive evening.

Of course I grew up near the coast and seafood to me was never expensive. If you would like to take your wife out for that "special evening" then this may be a good spot. Don't take your golfing buddy's there !!!

Not sure of anything else in St. Andrews as far as seafood other than a good fish and chips and a beer in the pubs. Of course that is "fine dining" to me !!

Carrollton, GA
Level Contributor
584 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seafood in St Andrews

Putterboy, thanks for the info. I agree with your definition of fine dining. Also, I saw the small caption of "Cyprus Point" above your name which in 2005 my wife and I stood in wonder looking at this marvelous site. The west coast of U.S. has some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. Again, thanks for info, we will stay with "fish and chips" and italian pizza from Bella Italia. John

Clayton, North...
Level Contributor
81 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seafood in St Andrews

John,

I live on the East Coast (NC) but had the chance to stay and play at Pebble Beach prior to going down to work the US Open at Torrey Pines in 2008.

I took the picture while on the 17 mile..Monterey was sweet....

Anyway have a nice time in St. Andrews, me and the other "hackers" will be there in June 2010.

Carrollton, GA
Level Contributor
584 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seafood in St Andrews

What dates in June 2010 and where do u stay? Have u been to the west coast of Scotland? Our group is considering this as an alternative to St Andrews depending on when we go.......... Was born in Kinston NC, raised in Alabama and now live west of Atlanta.

Carrollton, GA
Level Contributor
584 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seafood in St Andrews

Putterboy, a few more questions..................How many r in your group? Do u use lottery for Old Course. What other courses do u play? Thanks. John

Clayton, North...
Level Contributor
81 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seafood in St Andrews

This time I have 8 in the group. Will be there June 5 thru June 12.

With this many going I got advanced tee times at the Old Course and the Castle Course. (Links Trust requires you to play two course if making advanced t times) Others we will play this trip will be Kingsbarn, Carnoustie, Crail (both courses) and then I have two days open.

Thinking about Leven Links, Elie, or Ladybank or possibly one of the other Links Trust Courses (New or Jubilee), not sure yet.

Have rented a house from Kingask Cottages.

http://www.kingask-cottages.co.uk/

The only place I have played on the west Coast is Royal Troon and the sister course across the street (Portland). I was actually on an Ireland golf trip and decided to take the ferry over from Larne, Northern Ireland for a couple days just to play Troon...Excellent track, expensive but I had a blast and played really well.

In 2005 a friend and I used the ballot for the Old Course and we had no problems. Well let me say this, we stayed at Rusacks Hotel (very pricey right on the 18 fairway) and David (the manager) may have helped to get us in?? I don't know and did not ask !! I hear some get it in...some don't.

Parents were born in Pamlico County, if you are familiar with NC.

Good luck with your plans

8. Re: Seafood in St Andrews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 03, 2010