We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East Nuke of Fife drive itinerary

Sicily, Italy
Level Contributor
51 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
East Nuke of Fife drive itinerary

After spending 2 nights in St Andrews, I will be driving to Edinburgh for the Fringe Festival (August 2013). I would appreciate your suggestions about my 5-7 hour drive/visit itinerary from St Andrews to Edinbuirgh. Will be leaving St Andrews at about 9.30am and would like to be in Edinburgh at 4.30pm. I will be accompanied by my wife and 2 teenage girls.

My first stop will be at the Secret Bunker, Crown Buildings, Troywood Fife, St. Andrews KY16 8QH. Although not sure about this attraction, I'm planning a 1hr 30min visit in this place.

From there, we will drive to High street Crail, where we will walk to Crail Harbour and spend about 30 minutes looking around.

My next stop will be at Anstruther and after walking around, we will stop to try some fish & chips from Anstruther Fish & Chips Bar 42-44 Shore St, Anstruther KY10 3AQ (Heard good comments about this fish&chips bar). We're planning to stay for about 30-45 minutes in total at the harbourside.

From there we will drive to Cove Wynd, Pittenweem, Anstruther KY10 2LE, and might visit St Fillan’s Cave area & the harbour. We will stay for about 30 minutes.

After Pittenweem, we will drive past St. Monans, Elie, and Earlsferry Fife (should I stop at any of these places or just drive by?).

My next stop will be at Main street, Lower Largo where we will stop for around 30 to 45 min for a walk around main steet and the harbour.

Our final stop will be at Dunfermline where we will stop for about an hour and visit Guildhall street, and Mercat Cross area.

From there, we will drive to Forth Road Bridge, Forth Rd Bridge South Queensferry EH30 9SF and keep driving to Edinburgh centre.

Does the above itinerary make sense or does it have too much stops and is the time allocation enough or should it be more? Please delete or include other places that we should visit during our drive.

Thankyou.

The Swilcan Bridge
Bridges, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Kincardine Bridge
Bridges, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
627 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: East Nuke of Fife drive itinerary

include other places? I don't think you could fit in more if you tried.

Take your time, try and enjoy it, soak in the atmosphere.

Secret Bunker - interesting fair enough

Fish and Chips - Anstruther. Very nice

Crail - nice wee village check out the pottery workshops too.

South Queensferry - great to stand under the bridges. If you have a spare hour or so go on one of the boat trips.

The rest I could leave out and spend more time just enjoying the day.

Hit Edinburgh for 16.00. The traffic gets silly around 16.30 - 18.00

Oh and its Neuk not Nuke as in bomb.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Neuk

Edited: 11:50 am, June 12, 2013
Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,982 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: East Nuke of Fife drive itinerary

I'd give the bunker a miss unless the weather is bad

Crail is worth a stop

If you decide on Anstruther for fish and chips allow a couple of hours. There are always queues. Well worth the wait though

I'd stop at Pittenweem and also Elie

If you need to be in Edinburgh by 4.30 be away from Queensferry by 3.30. It's very busy in August

Lower Largo and the rest I would leave

Dunfermline wouldn't be on my list either.

Stop at North or South Queensferry for a walk under the bridge

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: East Nuke of Fife drive itinerary

Another take ...

Crail, for sure, the most picturesque of the harbours, and a lovely village altogether.

Anstruther .. the famous fish and chip shop is suffering from its fame. The fish has been good on the recent times I've taken folk there, but I don't reckon the chip-shop experience is worth standing for long in the queue. When I've gone that way with Mrs J lately, we've eaten at the Dreel Tavern, where the fish has been every bit as good and the overall experience more enjoyable.

Elie is the third "must stop" on that route.

If I had to pick a fourth, I would favour St Monan's over Pittenweem, even though that's a village I have reason to like a great deal, too. The church and surrounding area at St Monan's is particularly attractive and distinguishes it from the other harbours.

West Wemyss is another exceptionally nice village, although no-one except me, it seems, ever stops there.

I'm with EC and TGW in giving Lower Largo and Dunfermline the heave-ho on such an abbreviated trip.

Sicily, Italy
Level Contributor
51 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: East Nuke of Fife drive itinerary

Thanks for the suggestions. I suppose my original itinerary is too much to take for a few hours. Therefore From St Andrews, I will first stop at Crail, then drive to Anstruther, next stop would be Elie, followed by St Monan's. If time permits I might stop at north or south Queensferry for a walk under the bridge before heading to Edinburgh before 4pm. Also, if you had to pick a place to visit between Elie and Queensferry, where would it be? Is this itinerary doable for a drive with stops starting at 10am and arrive in Edinburgh before 4pm. Any suggestions where it would be best to stop the car at Queensferry?

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,982 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: East Nuke of Fife drive itinerary

Cross the bridge and follow signs for South Queensferry. Drive along thei main street and park past the rail bridge.

Sicily, Italy
Level Contributor
51 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: East Nuke of Fife drive itinerary

Thanks 'thegoodwitch'. Do you mean to park the car near 'The Railbridge Bistro' at 4 Newhalls Road South Queensferry EH30 9TA. Other suggestions re itinerary are welcomed.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,982 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: East Nuke of Fife drive itinerary

Yep. That would be a good place to park. As well as the Bistro there's the historic Hawes Inn if you need a refreshment

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: East Nuke of Fife drive itinerary

St Monan's (or St Monans, even St Monance - much argument about whether it should have an apostrophe or not) is between Anstruther and Elie, and a minimal detour. Traveling west, it would make sense to visit St Monans before Elie. The church is on the west side of the village and there is parking at the church itself.

At Elie, look out for the cricket pitch on the sand. It may not be unique, but it's certainly very unusual. I doubt that many scorers elsewhere have to write "Incoming tide stopped play" in their logs!

9. Re: East Nuke of Fife drive itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:15 pm, September 24, 2014