We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 or 2 night excursion from Edinburgh

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
220 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
1 or 2 night excursion from Edinburgh

Partner and I are thinking about going to Edinburgh late September/early October. We'd like to take a 1 or 2 night trip including transportation and accommodations to see Loch Ness and the countryside. Anyone know of reputable companies for something like this? We've had a couple of bad experiences with Viator and would like to avoid them. Maximum budget would be $300 per person and that's pushing it. I imagine it's better to reserve something like this in advance v. trying to arrange once we arrive? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,058 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 or 2 night excursion from Edinburgh

Rabbies or Timberbush are very highly regarded locally. Definitely book ahead, especially if you want one with an overnight stay.

Edited: 11:04 am, June 26, 2016
Redwood City...
Level Contributor
25 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 or 2 night excursion from Edinburgh

I have traveled with both Rabbies and Timberbush.

They were professional and were mindful of

the passengers needs and the schedule.

I recommend both companies to friends and family

Have a great time.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
4,977 posts
529 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 or 2 night excursion from Edinburgh

We had a pretty rubbish experience with viator in Spain this year, although thankfully it was only a day tour of the Alhambra.But it put me off them for life.

There are many companies offering tours - Heart of Scotland, Highland Experience....as well as the above .The reviews they get always seem excellent.

Loch Ness isn't our loveliest loch however, not by a long way though see where else they include.Glencoe is superb and I know many, over 2 days, do a loop that includes coming back down (or up) the more spectacular west Highlands.

Portsmouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Portsmouth
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
2,206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 or 2 night excursion from Edinburgh

Viator are not a travel company, simply a tour reseller and although you may book through them, the tour you then experience will be the straightforward tours mentioned in the proceeding postings. As advised there is a large selection and the reviews are good. However, bear in mind, that the tour you are considering will benefit greatly from good weather and you are looking at late September, early October. If you book in Advance you are locked into dates, irrespective of the weather.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
220 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 or 2 night excursion from Edinburgh

Thanks very much for the responses. They give us a great place to start!

Halifax Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
199 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 or 2 night excursion from Edinburgh

A few weeks ago took 2 day tour with Timberbush from edinburgh. I did a review on tripadvisor with some highlights. Please forgive the typos etc. I was using talk to text and didnt proofread before posting.

It went to Glencoe, Loch Ness, stayed overnight in Inverness. It also visited Culloden Moor and Clava Cairns, among other things. Highly recommend them. It truly was one of the top 3 things we did in Scotland. Only frustration was some of the other guests who didnt respect the return times to the van. Not the company's fault.

Edited: 10:47 am, June 28, 2016
7. Re: 1 or 2 night excursion from Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 30, 2017