We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Convenient airport and city access.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
38 reviews
57 helpful votes
Convenient airport and city access.

We plan to stay in Edinburgh city or surrounds for two nights before flying out of Edinburgh Airport. We will have a rental car that needs to be dropped off at 7am at the airport before our flight. Can anyone recommend a hotel, B and B or suburb that will ensure we don't get stuck in peak hour traffic on a Friday morning en route but also provide easy public transport access to the city to do some sightseeing?

Level Contributor
762 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Convenient airport and city access.

Having a car in the city is a drawback rather than an advantage. You could drop the car off prior to staying in Edinburgh and then get public transport or taxi to the airport for your flight.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
38 reviews
57 helpful votes
2. Re: Convenient airport and city access.

Yes we may return the car early. When we organised the car, we weren't sure where we would be staying on our final two nights in Scotland. Since posting I've been looking at some places near Queensferry or Ratho with a view to easy airport access. One Queensferry hotel offers free airport shuttle. Also, I think that Queensferry has better transport links to Edinburgh city. Is this correct?

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,941 posts
88 reviews
104 helpful votes
3. Re: Convenient airport and city access.

I think you are exagerrating the risk of being stuck in traffic.

I'm no local expert, but I would be amazed if the tram got stuck..

Stay in, and enjoy the city. Take a cab, bus or tram to the airport. From the centre to the airport at 7 am should take.....30 minutes?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
35,683 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Convenient airport and city access.

< I'm no local expert, but I would be amazed if the tram got stuck.. >

It runs on normal roads for part of it's route therefore can be blocked by other traffic, damage to the lines can - and has - occurred stopping the trams

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
6 reviews
9 helpful votes
5. Re: Convenient airport and city access.

I'm guessing that you are talking about the Dakota Hotel near South Queensferry. The Dakota is a nice hotel and some rooms give an excellent view of the two bridges presently crossing the Forth and of the third bridge under construction. However it can hardly be said to be close to anything you might want to see.

If I were you I'd look at hotels in the Haymarket area, handy for the Airlink 100 Bus which runs 24 hours a day or the tram with more limited operating times but still OK for you getting to the airport at 7:00am

The other area to look at is the Old Town, Market Street, High Street, South Bridge and Jeffrey Street, there are a number of hotels within a 5/7 minute downhill walk of where the Airlink 100 bus starts from.

Get rid of the car and stay in the city. Assuming that you are talking about the Dakota I'd say that there is a greater risk of traffic congestion from there to the airport than from the city to the airport. However I wouldn't rate either risk to be very high.

lothianbuses.com/timetables-and-maps/airlink

https://edinburghtrams.com/

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
1,960 posts
30 reviews
31 helpful votes
6. Re: Convenient airport and city access.

I would also say stay in the city, ditch the car at the airport on your way into Edinburgh. Edinburgh is compact to navigate for sightseeing on foot and by bus. Return to the airport by tram or the Airlink bus. Personally I prefer the bus - it's often quicker than the tram, runs 24 hours a day, and is cheaper than the tram. Haymarket is a good option for easy access to a bus stop but the Airlink bus runs along Princes Street from Waverley Station so there's lots of hotels at a whole range of prices close to an Airlink bus stop.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,007 posts
61 reviews
27 helpful votes
7. Re: Convenient airport and city access.

Totally agree, ditch the car when you arrive in Edinburgh and stay in the city. The Dakota isn't all that convenient for getting into Edinburgh by public transport and you're paying for a car that's not going to be used. Going to the airport at 7am you shouldn't have any issues with traffic coming out of town. It's more likely to be busier coming from South Queensferry as people leave Fife early to get across the bridge into Edinburgh.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
38 reviews
57 helpful votes
8. Re: Convenient airport and city access.

Thank you everyone for the great transport links and advice! We've decided to stay in the city and catch the public transport. We're looking at hotels in the Haymarket vicinity.

Los Alamos, New...
Level Contributor
4,557 posts
150 reviews
59 helpful votes
9. Re: Convenient airport and city access.

Consider checking out AirBnB......loads of options

10. Re: Convenient airport and city access.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 01, 2017