We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow - easy to get a seat?!?

Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow - easy to get a seat?!?

Hi Travellers

Just curious is anyone knows how full the trains are of a weekday morning between Edinburgh to Glasgow (around 7AM-9AM)?! Would there be any need to get stressed about not getting a seat during peak time when there would be lots of commuters also using the Train to get to work etc?

I noticed that ScotRail doesn't allow seat reservations on the services I am looking at and am wondering if it is because these trains get really full?

Any advice on the best way to secure a seat on the morning services, or is not a problem to stress about?

Thanks so much! :)

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow - easy to get a seat?!?

The trains do get busy and full. There is no way of "securing" a seat - just turn up and get on with the crowd.

Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow - easy to get a seat?!?

Thank you very much for the reply! We will just have to join the bustle!!!

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,394 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow - easy to get a seat?!?

<<I noticed that ScotRail doesn't allow seat reservations on the services I am looking at and am wondering if it is because these trains get really full?>>

No - it's because they are suburban trains that don't have the facility to reserve seats

You can reserve on the very occasional Cross Country or East Coast train that does that trip

Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow - easy to get a seat?!?

Thanks very much for the info, that makes sense if it is a suburban line :)

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
15,266 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow - easy to get a seat?!?

Trains departing after 8.10 from Waverley will be a bit quieter as it's too late to get to Glasgow for 9 am.

If you can wait until after 9.15 am then off-peak tickets are valid and a lot cheaper, especially if you get a Day Return (if applicable). (The first off-peak train will also be busy.)

It's only a 50 min journey though via Falkirk High.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow - easy to get a seat?!?

Would the Edinburgh to Glasgow Central route be better for the OP if they want to avoid the bustle? Or is that just as busy at that time? I know it is a lot slower but was just wondering if it might be better in this instance,

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,816 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow - easy to get a seat?!?

< The first off-peak train will also be busy. >

Full of Twirlies?

theguardian.com/politics/…transport.uk

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
13,377 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow - easy to get a seat?!?

Wouldn't recommend the Waverley to Central route, takes around 70 mins whereas the direct Queen St route takes 50 mins!

It's not Tokyo suburban whereby staff are pushing people on to get the doors closed, yes if you are late arriving on the platform then chances are you may have to stand but you will be able to move your limbs and breath!!!!

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow - easy to get a seat?!?

The peak hour trains to Glasgow via Falkirk High run with six carriages and are every 15 minutes so if you get on at Edinburgh I'd be extremely surprised if you didn't get a seat.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,055 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow - easy to get a seat?!?

I used to use the peak commuter time trains regularly and even getting on at Haymarket (2nd stop) I don't recall ever not getting a seat. If you really need a seat due to disability type issues then the first couple of rows of seats by each door are labeled priority and people are SUPPOSED to offer them to people who need them.....if you're desperate and there's a young physically fit individual in them and no other seats then ask them to move or ask the train guard. Also don't be afraid to ask people to move their bags off the seats which is all too common.