We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with Downtown Hotel!

Uxbridge...
Level Contributor
451 posts
153 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with Downtown Hotel!

Ok I am in need of help.... I wont go into all the details but I have a "free room" at the Waldorf Astoria August 10-12th - I say "free" but I am using points. They are telling me they are VERY strict on their 2 person policy! ... I was going to stay with my mother and daughter...so that just wont work. I dont want to give up this opportunity but bluntly dont have enough points for a second room and certainly cant afford their regular price.

Is there ANY hotel within easy walking distance that I can book for my mother for August 10-12th I know its peak season and "cheap" is relative, so lets just say this... My mum needs a place to sleep, preferably without sharing with people or cockroaches... Realistically 100 pounds per night would be great BUT I know finding that within walking distance during peak season might not happen, so can I just say as cheap as possible.. Any place I can look into? Thanks so much

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with Downtown Hotel!

Have a look at Cityroomz (formerly Travelodge west end) it is about the only walking distance "budget" hotel but still looking at £140 per night. August is peak peak I'm afraid. Obviously the Waldorf is located in the most expensive (and convenient) part of the city so it really depends on how strict your walking distance requirement is. We have an excellent bus service and many taxis which would widen your search area considerably.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
588 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with Downtown Hotel!

Easyhotel at the West End of Princes St (2 mins walk from The Caledonian) has rooms for £79 per person on the dates you require. The rooms are small but functional.

Edited: 6:01 pm, June 08, 2014
warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with Downtown Hotel!

The rooms (or cells) are indeed small and some are windowless. But Easyhotel keep the prices low by filling a building with these sleeping 'pods' and charging extra for the usual basics every other hotel offers as complimentary.

Uxbridge...
Level Contributor
451 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with Downtown Hotel!

LOVE this site This is EXACTLY what I was looking for... now if only my Mother didnt go to sleep so early I would have her book it NOW but I will just hope they are still available tomorrow! Again THANK YOU this is what I was looking for and no way "google" can find this sort of advice for me :-)

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
41,012 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with Downtown Hotel!

If I was your mother and you were staying in the Waldorf but put me up in the Easyhocell, Small Room — no window, 6.5 sq metres including the toilet, I don't think I would be best pleased.

unless your mother is VERY understanding I would think carefully before pitching this to her. They charge for practically everything. Wifi, cleaning, even the tv.

It seems that you can book the Waldorf for three people per room on their website,even with Honors Points so not sure what they normally do. I would have thought that if you were prepared to pay extra to them they could put a z-bed or whatever in the room

Edited: 8:08 pm, June 08, 2014
Uxbridge...
Level Contributor
451 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help with Downtown Hotel!

Well it is so easy to judge people on line without knowing anything about the situation I suppose. The truth is I live in the US with my daughter. This whole trip is for HER and yes I went all out and used all my "Points" to book a room a long time ago... I bought the tickets to the Tattoo and my mother (Who lives in Alnwick just over an hours drive) ORIGINALLY was going to come to just that with us and drive home so no hotel reservations where needed. She NOW has said she would like to spend the day before with is AND feels after 2 long days, she does not want to drive home after the Tattoo...

I DID call the hotel and asked if I can add a Z-bed but they told me in the room I have it is impossible AND very strict on the 2 per person (even though I still consider my daughter a "child" she turns 12 at the end of July). I asked to change the room but the points to do so where WAY above what I have...

My mother was suggesting she could just "rest in her car" which of course I would not allow! I was going to cancel my hotel and get a different one but my daughter has been looking forward to this for so long my mother simply wont allow it. The reality is, my mother can spend ALL of her time with us, in our room etc except to actually sleep... its literally a stone throw away from this hotel so I can easily walk her to bed at night and she doesn't want any TV or anything like that just a "place to sleep". I am sure she will walk over and meet us for breakfast in the AM...

So while as I said before this site is AMAZING for some very helpful people who are just flat out great, unfortunately it comes with people who just instantly judge you without knowing any facts too... it is par for the course I suppose...

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
41,012 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help with Downtown Hotel!

I was not judging you so if it came out that way I apologize. I was just trying to point out that the Easyhotel rooms were very, very small. If she is happy with that then all is well.

Some mothers can be difficult. Not in your case it seems.

"So while as I said before this site is AMAZING for some very helpful people who are just flat out great, unfortunately it comes with people who just instantly judge you without knowing any facts too... it is par for the course I suppose."

Hmm.... I seem to have already helped you out on a number of occasions!!

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help with Downtown Hotel!

Trimada,

Please re-read the thread. You got help. I was thinking exactly the same as RonaldoC, but he got there first. We are not being judgmental, but we understand human nature, and given the amount of information you supplied, 'unhappy mother' was a reasonable conclusion to come to, especially given the cheap nature of the two hotels recommended. But you asked for cheap. There are lots of others, perhaps slightly less cheap, in the Princes Street/Haymarket area.

In these forums you will get factual answers. But you will also get replies suggesting things you may not have thought of. You can think of that as being extra-helpful, or unwanted information, it's your choice.

What I don't understand is why your points *plus a cash supplement* can't make the difference to your existing booking at the Waldorf. I apologise in advance: more untoward comments.

Edited: 3:30 am, June 09, 2014
Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,631 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help with Downtown Hotel!

Perhaps *you* could sleep in the Easyhotel for 1/2 nights and your mother stay with your daughter in the Caley? (the name Waldorf Astoria hasn't quite entered Edinburgh consciousness yet

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
588 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help with Downtown Hotel!

Wow! How a thread can become a judgemental slanging match!

I gave the OP the info in good faith, based upon the quite specific information supplied AND by doing a few dummy bookings based on the dates supplied - so the likes of the PI were not available etc etc.

I think I'll stop trying to help on TA as clearly those who've been at it a lot longer think they know a whole lot better!!