We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel in old town with view of the castle?

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
191 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
hotel in old town with view of the castle?

Hi folks,

heading to edinburgh in september and having stayed there before we know we want to be in the old town, near the grassmarket. We stayed in the apex international the last time and the views were amazing. We were spoilt rotten. Just wondering if there are other hotels in the area with similar views? Just so we can look at different options.

thanks in advance

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,077 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel in old town with view of the castle?

From the 'Old Town' that is probably as good as it gets, but from the 'New Town' The Royal Overseas League 100 Princes Street [5 min walk from Grassmarket] sit right in front of the castle.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,553 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel in old town with view of the castle?

I would imagine that some rooms in The Balmoral have a pretty good view, but again that is from the New Town. I can't think of anything in The Old Town that would have a better view than The Apex in Grassmarket.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel in old town with view of the castle?

Likewise some rooms in the Sheraton, Lothian Road, or if money's no object the Waldorf Astoria. But nothing like as 'up front' at the Apex. Personally I think MikeBR has nailed it.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
99 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel in old town with view of the castle?

We are staying in an Airbnb apartment on Grassmarket with a splendid view of the castle ( we are in the same block with the Apex). You can check it out at https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/138010… or search on Airbnb for "Stylish Castle View Apartment."

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
6,905 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel in old town with view of the castle?

The Best Western Bruntsfield has rooms with a view of a the castle. I had one with such a view during my last visit in May. You'd probably to have to request one if that's what you want though. The hotel is about a 20 minute walk from the Royal Mile across The Meadows and Bruntsfield Links.

6. Re: hotel in old town with view of the castle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 11, 2015