We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hiring a driver and car vs simply hiring a car

Arizona
Level Contributor
80 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
hiring a driver and car vs simply hiring a car

Would appreciate input, especially from locals, about the pros and cons of hiring a driver and car vs simply hiring a car

There are 6 adults in our party who will be flying in and out of EDI (Saturday to Sunday). We are going directly to Pitlochry the evening we arrive, will spend 3 nights there, Plan on driving to Gleneagles one day to golf, will spend the entirely of the following day exploring Pitlochry and visiting Edradour. We plan on doing that mainly by walking about the city and taking the local bus or by using a hired driver since we will be sampling Whisky. We will then depart Pitlochry and head to Ft. WIlliam to take the West highland railway over to Mallig to spend a day on the cost. Eat, possibly take a boat tour of the islands, etc. We were then going to have our driver meet us in Mallig and drive us to Oban, spend a couple of nights in Oban, visit the distillery in Oban and then head back to Edinburg for our final three nights.

So now that I have given everyone way too much information I will ask my question again

We can either hire a car and drive our selves. We have one is our party who does not drink (for the most part, he prefers Arnold Palmers) and several of us have driven in the UK previously.

Or we can hire a car WITH a dedicated driver/tour guide to drive use from the time we arrive at EDI until we return to Edinburg (5 days total I think). The downsides of the driver with the car are obviously cost (about 500-600GBP a day), and more problematic is the driver will only work 8 hours a day, which means we lose him mid afternoon each day. This makes it so we have less flexibility. Also, with the driver we now have to hire a van that seats 7 or 8 and there is less room to accommodate our luggage.

Any thoughtful insight would be much appreciated

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,365 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: hiring a driver and car vs simply hiring a car

Try Arnold Clark. I think they do large MPVs.

12. Re: hiring a driver and car vs simply hiring a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 28, 2015