We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First big trip! Help!

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
First big trip! Help!

Hi! I'm planning my first trip out of th US and going over options. Right now I'm flying into edinbourgh and plan on renting a car and visiting different parts of Scotland. Is it possible to rent a car in edinbourgh and returning it in another part of Scotland? Also, I plan on staying in three seperate areas, Edinbouragh, Isle of Skye, and..... What should be the third area?!

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First big trip! Help!

Edinburgh.

Yes it is possible to do a car rental hiring in one place and dropping off in another.

Are you leaving from somewhere other than Edinburgh?

How long are you staying for?

What sort of things interest you?

Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First big trip! Help!

I am flying into edinbourgh and staying for 7 days in Scotland and 3 in Ireland before flying home from Dublin. I love hiking and the outdoor experience, historical sites, and I'd also love to do some whiskey/scotch tours

3. Re: First big trip! Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 pm, November 21, 2013
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First big trip! Help!

Alternate pick up and drop off usually available.

If you're staying in Edinburgh - ditch the car, the buses are good, driving can be a nightmare and unless your hotel has a car park, parking is expensive. It will take you 5 - 6 hours to get to Skye by car.

I'd go visit the Cairngorms - the national park is beautiful - it's 3hours or so north of Glasgow / Edinburgh, there's the opportunity to bike and hike, gently or go mad as you choose. Just be careful of the weather. The area around Aviemore is a good base (although Aviemore isnt the prettiest town ever).

If heading to Skye, Plockton is a lovely little spot (almost on the way)

Alternatively, try Morvern peninsula. You can travel through Glencoe (fab), cross the tiny Corran ferry (turn up and go) and feel like your a million miles from anywhere. You can go from there to the island of Mull too. Not sure when you're travelling, so you might want to check that hotels, pubs etc remain open through the winter months. You can travel from Morvern to Mallaig to get the ferry to Skye (probably need to book), rather than head for the Skye bridge.

Just remember that the further north you go, some of the main roads become narrow, single track so it takes longer to get about. Have fun!.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,536 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First big trip! Help!

You say you are leaving from Dublin, where are you flying to Dublin from?

Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First big trip! Help!

Back to the US

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
8,663 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First big trip! Help!

Time of year please? This will make a big difference to our replies...

W x

Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First big trip! Help!

I'll be there mid march

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,536 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First big trip! Help!

Sorry, that wasn't what I was asking. You are flying into Edinburgh, touring Scotland, then how do you get to Dublin? I was assuming you are flying from Edinburgh or Glasgow, perhaps I'm wrong. Do you intend to try and take your hired car to The Republic of Ireland?

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
8,663 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First big trip! Help!

Bump