We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh to Fort William in early December

Bristol, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Edinburgh to Fort William in early December

I'm planning on spending a few days in Edinburgh at the start of December followed by somewhere just south of Fort William.

I intend on driving there however have never visited Scotland before, will it ok to drive there at that time in the year or should I look into getting a train?

Many thanks

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
8,083 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh to Fort William in early December

It shouldn't be any problems driving to Fort Williams that time of year (unless we have a December like in 2010...). Taking the car gives you the advantage to include a stop or two on the way.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh to Fort William in early December

Just south of Fort William. That's somewhere like Onich if you want 'just south'

It's Glencoe if you want proper scenery. Glencoe village and Ballachulish have a number of hotels and B&Bs, but the place with most character is the Clachaig Inn, right in the middle of the glen.

You'll find somewhere to stay but don;t expect them all to be open.

Roads will probably be fine, but you'll know whether that's the case when you're in Edinburgh.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
15,940 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh to Fort William in early December

I did read that we are expecting a bad winter ths year starting in November. I hope this is wrong,. However, you will not find an awful lot to do around Fort William in December as it's a holiday destination and lots of places will be closed. Of course, you can take in the views, but, that's about all.

I would stay in Edinburgh and maybe have a trip to Glasgow where their will still be lots to see and do.

Come back in the Summer for the Highlands. We where in the Highlands last April and on our way home to Aberdeenshire when we hit a snow storm. So, think twice about travelling the Highlands in December.

4. Re: Edinburgh to Fort William in early December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 20, 2014