We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas dinner

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas dinner

Hello, staying with the wife in city centre Xmas eve and Xmas night, can anyone recommend somewhere for a good Xmas dinner? I imagine most places are closed? The hotel is charging something crazy for Xmas dinner. Thanks

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas dinner

Plenty of places are open with special Xmas menus. What is your budget per person? Are you looking for a traditional 4 course meal with turkey and all the trimmings? Or something else?

Abs :)

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,977 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas dinner

Unfortunately it is the cost of staff over Christmas /New year holiday. £30+ for a fairly modest dinner is the norm. If they have any places left The Royal Overseas League at 100 Princes Street can be very good and very modest bar prices. Any of the Wetherspoon group on George Street / Leith Street is worth a look.

Harwich, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas dinner

Hi DecBelfast,

Last year we spent our first Xmas in Edinburgh and had Xmas day dinner at The Albanach on the Royal Mile. The food was excellent, as was the atmosphere, staff and price. We are doing it again this year without hesitation.

http://www.albanach-edinburgh.co.uk/menu

They will not start taking bookings until September (too busy over the festival period). A small deposit first and pay the balance on the day.

Might see you there!

Cheers

Italy
Level Contributor
39,508 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas dinner

The restaurant in the George hotel in George street is open for Christmas lunch and dinner, also the Dome are always open at christmas but they don't have the usual christmas menu this year only a-la-carte

www.thegeorgehoteledinburgh.co.uk

www.thedomeedinburgh.com/christmas

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas dinner

Thanks for the replies, I wouldn't want to spend more than £100 really. I had a look at the overseas leagues and it looked really reasonable but the reviews on te site don't do it any favours. I went to the albanach last year in December as part of a Xmas doo and it wasn't bad, good to know it's open Xmas day :)

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,977 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas dinner

I've had a number of Hogmanay dinners at the Royal Overseas League and all have been very good and the bar prices were comparable with Wetherspoons and that's why I like going there and you also get the great view of the Castle

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas dinner

Aye I know not always to take reviews on tripadvisor as gospel, the Xmas dinner menu looked good and as you say the views of the castle were smashing, thanks for the heads up on the place to.

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas dinner

Apparently The Dome isn't open on Christmas day :/

We're also hunting for a reasonably priced meal! Thanks for your suggestions.

Brisbane, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas dinner

Hello

did anyone go to the Royal Overseas League in Edinburgh for Christmas in 2013? Please offer a review.

Thanks

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,620 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas dinner

Not necessarily Christmas, but some reviews here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186525-…