We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car from Waverly station

alexandria, va
Level Contributor
19 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Rental car from Waverly station

We are flying in to Edinburgh and spending two days in the city. We plan on picking up a rental car at Waverly station at 7am on Saturday for a 4 day drive around the highlands. Can anyone advise on the drive out of Edinburgh from Waverly station?

We realize that it is best not to drive in Edinburgh, but prefer the ease of picking up the car only a few blocks away from our hotel. I have a lot of experience driving a standard shift and drove around Ireland a few years ago.

There can't be much traffic at 7am on a Saturday morning, right? Is there still a lot of construction work going on in the city center that we should avoid? Any advice would be very welcome. thanks.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car from Waverly station

Depending on how much luggage you have, an alternative could be to hop on the airport bus and collect a hire car from there. Or take a taxi (would cost around £20) This would save navigating to get out of the city, and the airport is west of the city so the perfect location to then hit the highlands from. However at 7am the streets should not be too busy, but for someone unfamiliar with Edinburgh's many one way streets it could still be a hassle!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,795 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car from Waverly station

Hi. I agree with the sentiments above, but if you are determined to pick up from Waverley, then head west. Where are you heading to first in the highlands? You may find either the A90/Queensferry Rd or west towards M8. The roads around Waverley and Princes St are a but if a mess/maze to navigate, but plenty of people do it.

Abs :)

alexandria, va
Level Contributor
19 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car from Waverly station

We considered picking up at the airport, but one of us will not ride the bus (I know it's crazy, but what can you do?). and we want to avoid the cost of the taxi to the airport. we can deal with a few wrong turns in the city as long as we don't end up in a traffic jam and get stuck for some time. We will have GPS and a Philip's Navigator map.

We are heading to Glencoe and then on to Mallaig to take the ferry to Skye. I know it will be a fairly long drive, but our only stops will be Glencoe and a few view overlooks if available. We hope to make the 3:20 ferry, so plan to arrive in Mallaig by 2:45. By leaving at 7am from Edinburgh, will we make it to Mallaig by 2:45? We are comfortable driving 6 hours per day and know that the roads may be slow-going. But the roads can't be as slow and cramped as the Irish roads we traveled a few years ago.

Thanks all for your comments.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental car from Waverly station

If you have a smartphone, put it onto Google Maps or equivalent. Even though they won't up-to-date with the latest Trams diversions, it will put you right when you you inevitably hit one.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,484 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental car from Waverly station

<< but one of us will not ride the bus (I know it's crazy, but what can you do? >>

Tell that person to pay for a taxi.

Fife, Scotland
Level Contributor
557 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental car from Waverly station

Perhaps you have booked your car already but you could all jump on a train from Waverley to Stirling or Perth, pick up a rented car and that would cut out most of the boring congested roads.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental car from Waverly station

GPS or other nav devices, or indeed mapping organiasations like Google and the AA do NOT take account of closures and diversions in central Edinburgh. And Edinburgh's strees are not very grid-like.

True 7 am will be quiet so don't worry about traffic jams.

If heading to Glencoe, then I presume you are looking for the motorway to Stirling?

When I plugged New Street, Edinburgh, and Stirling into http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp

it suggested a route which swung southwards round the centre of town - but then attempted to take me through closed roads at Haymarket. Sigh.

Can I suggest: New Street, up the Royal Mile only a few yards, turn L onto St Mary's street - then head South and keep going. When you get to the large roundabout & rail bridge at Cameron Toll, change from the A7 to the A701 (liberton). This will take you to the A720 Edinburgh bypass and you can then head west. Stirling (or Glasgow) are signposted from the A720

Slightly longer but less hassle.

alexandria, va
Level Contributor
19 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental car from Waverly station

Derek G, thanks so much for your detailed directions.

Strath 101, I will consider your idea. We Americans are so auto-focused, I hadn't even considered a train to another location.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,856 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental car from Waverly station

The good thing with trying to get out of Edinburgh is that the signage should help. Derek G's route is not the most direct, but probably the easiest. You basically just need to head west and keep your eyes peeled for signs for "Stirling (M9)", which, as a major route, is well signposted. The tricky bit is coming back where signs for "Waverley Station Car Hire Return" are not so frequent.........

10. Re: Rental car from Waverly station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 01, 2014