We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

? On the nature of rainy weather near Edinburgh

rocky mtns
Level Contributor
166 posts
1 review
Save Topic
? On the nature of rainy weather near Edinburgh

Hello Everyone,

I will be spending 3 or 4 days in and near Edinburgh at the end of August into September. I've looked up historical weather data for those days on Weather Underground and it looks like there's a 60%+ chance of rainy weather (they didn't show rainfall totals in the data table). I'm just wondering if there's a particular sort of rainy weather that's more typical for that time of year. Can I expect torrential downpours, constant drizzle or mist, brief showers, or some combination of all of the above?

I plan to spend one day going out to Siccar Point, on the coast, if that makes a difference.

Should I plan on having full rain gear, just in case? I can handle a shower or two with just a windbreaker but would want to avoid getting thoroughly soaked. I will have boots for the hike to Siccar point.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,654 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ? On the nature of rainy weather near Edinburgh

I subscribe to Weather Underground and I find it pretty accurate. I think, all of the above is the best description. What you want is to have a water/wind proof outer layer wearing a T-shirt and sweatshirt with a sweater and spare T-shirt in your day sac. I would include water/wind proof trousers too.

You can not predict the weather this far ahead. Plan for the worst, be pleased if you are not very cold. Good walking shoes /boots are a bonus.

Edited: 7:19 pm, July 28, 2013
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ? On the nature of rainy weather near Edinburgh

All of the above? I hope not, and that Alan meant *any* of the above!

Yes travel with raingear, hoping you don;t need it. Hovever if you're here for a few days, it's likly you will at some point.

Edinburgh is NOT notoriously wet at the end of August and into September, and if you look up figures, Edinburgh's weather is often milder than surrounding areas, because of its particular nature as a bowl semi-surrounded by hills sheltering the town from the SW winds, and being at sea level.

If you're interested in Siccar point because of the geology, you should think about Salisbury crags on Arthur's seat, for Hutton's Section. He got about. Or rather his rock formations have been found in a few different places. And if at Siccar point, consider ST Abbs Head, a bird reserve. By late October breeding will be finished but the area is a reserve and there will still be birds on the sea cliffs. And you get good fish and chips in nearby Eyemouth.

If you're on Siccar Point or St Abbs Head, and it turns stormy, full raingear would be handy. Thye're exposed places.

Edited: 9:43 pm, July 28, 2013
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,822 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ? On the nature of rainy weather near Edinburgh

The wettest I have ever been from rain was two years ago late august on a visit to Edinburgh's festival fringe for the day. I knew it was going to be very wet indeed so wore good shoes and a waterproof jacket.

Alas it was so wet that the streets ran like rivers and the rain managed to find its way into my spare dry clothing which was stored inside a plastic bag and inside my backpack. At least if you are actually staying in Edinburgh you'll not have far to go to dry off if you get rained on. It could also be scorching hot, so yeah, layers! :)

rocky mtns
Level Contributor
166 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: ? On the nature of rainy weather near Edinburgh

Hello Everyone,

Thank you all for your replies. Rain gear it is, then. It really doesn't add that much weight to my luggage, I was just wondering about it.

I am going to Siccar Point for the geology. I will also check out Salisbury Crags/Arthur's Seat, I wasn't aware of that. So thank you for the advice.

Thank you all very much for your help.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ? On the nature of rainy weather near Edinburgh

I think you're making the right choice with rain gear, we don't normally have toooo much rain at this time of year but thanks to the hear wave we're currently suffering intermittent thunder, lightning and down pours- as well as hot temperatures! Bonnie Scotland- all weathers in one day! :-)

6. Re: ? On the nature of rainy weather near Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, August 01, 2014