We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour the Castle before or after the Sanderman's tour?

georgetown, tx
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tour the Castle before or after the Sanderman's tour?

We have one day to tour Edinburgh & already have tickets to the castle. It appears that it will be best to see that first & then I was thinking of going on the 1:00 pm Sanderman's tour. It is 2.5 hours. Wondering if we should take the morning tour & then do the castle? I know it will be a busy time in Edinburgh & I don't want to get caught up with wall to wall people at the castle. We will be seeing the Tattoo at 10:30 pm that night & will do Arthur's Seat the day before.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,795 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour the Castle before or after the Sanderman's tour?

Hi. It sounds like you are coming in August. Do the castle early as possible in the day - it will be crowded all day, but less so early on.

The Sandeman tours get missed reviews, and I imagine they are pretty difficult to follow amidst all the pell mell on the Royal Mile. My suggestion would be forget Sandemans and just enjoy the afternoon soaking up the atmosphere of The Royal Mile, watching the street performances, or maybe taking in a show or 2.

Abs :)

georgetown, tx
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour the Castle before or after the Sanderman's tour?

Thanks for the heads up! After reading more reviews I think I agree with you totally.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour the Castle before or after the Sanderman's tour?

Depending on how much your into castles and history, the castle could take anything from an hour to well over half a day. There are all sorts of places to wander and see.

One of the advantages of having a ticket is you can skip the queue at the ticket office, and either get the ticket vlidated at the next office, if you have a voucher, or march straight in.

Thereafter there will be queues e.g. to et you into St Margaret's chapel or to thee the scottish crown. Spot quiet points. be eagle-eyed.

And if not doing Sandeman, don't forget the one o'clock gun on the castle ramparts.

4. Re: Tour the Castle before or after the Sanderman's tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 30, 2014