We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus tours from Edimburgh, 2/3 days or 2* 1 day tour?

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
12 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
bus tours from Edimburgh, 2/3 days or 2* 1 day tour?

Hello,

I'm planning to go to Edinburgh on the summer with my teenage daughter, and after staying 2 or 3 days in Edinburgh, I would like to go out and visit some castles, lakes and see a bit more of Scotland. My question is: which is best: to take a 2 or 3 days bus tour like the Timberbush "Eilean Donan, Loch Ness & The North West Highlands" tour or take several one day tour always departing from Edinburgh?

I don't want to drive, and there's just 2 of us, so I think we will be dependent on organized tours.

What is your advice, and which tour company is best?

thanks,

Lacey, Washington
Destination Expert
for Charlotte
Level Contributor
658 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bus tours from Edimburgh, 2/3 days or 2* 1 day tour?

I really enjoyed a recent tour with Rabbie's, but was only a day tour leaving from downtown. Maybe some other folks who have done the 2 day tours can weight in? You can also take the train pretty easily to Glasgow for the day, a very neat city to see!

California
Level Contributor
462 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bus tours from Edimburgh, 2/3 days or 2* 1 day tour?

There are lots of great 1 day trips out of Edinburgh. Check out Rabbie's as well as Timberbush. I have been on day trips with both companies and had a great time. Check out their multiday tour itineraries and see if they suit you better. One day tours give you the advantage of being in Edinburgh for dinner each evening and not having to pack. The longer tours give you the advantage of seeing more of the beautiful countryside.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
12 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bus tours from Edimburgh, 2/3 days or 2* 1 day tour?

Thanks for your replies.

I really want to see the country side, castles, lakes, etc., my only doubt regarding the one day tours is that I' afraid to spend all day inside the bus with few stops and no time to see things without rushing to the next item.

Do you think that with those companies we have enough stops to take pictures and to see the sites?

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bus tours from Edimburgh, 2/3 days or 2* 1 day tour?

Cristina, it depends ...

Look carefully at the routemap for each day trip. Some go as far north as Loch Ness and that WILL be a lot of mileage for one day.

There are shorter trips into the borders or the southern highlands - Trossachs, Loch Lomond for example, where the buses will stop to let you wander and take pictures. They tend to stop at nice scenery or when they spot highland cows.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bus tours from Edimburgh, 2/3 days or 2* 1 day tour?

The two day tours will cover more ground without doubling back, but the time allocated for stops on both one-day and two-day tours depends on how much ground they need to cover in a day. As Derek said, look carefully at the tour options and itineraries, and compare the distances covered each day. Some will say how much time is allocated for each stop as well. Consider Rabbies and Timberbush, but there are lots of others. Click on Edinburgh "Things to Do" (at the top of this page) and then "Activities" to read reviews of different tour companies.

PS If you do two day tours, choose ones that don't cover the same ground; eg, one to the Highlands or St Andrews, and one to the Scottish Borders.

Edited: 9:01 pm, July 17, 2013
Abilene, Texas
Level Contributor
182 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bus tours from Edimburgh, 2/3 days or 2* 1 day tour?

We had an amazing 1 day tour to the Highlands and Loch Ness with Rabbie's. This was a one day tour. See my recent review here: tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g186525-d654…

Lacey, Washington
Destination Expert
for Charlotte
Level Contributor
658 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bus tours from Edimburgh, 2/3 days or 2* 1 day tour?

I really didn't feel like I was on the bus excessively on the one day tour, but I also did the Loch Lomond and Stirling Castle tour from Edinburgh and didn't take the longer Loch Ness route. You get a long stop at the Castle in the morning, a stop for lunch, stop at the Loch and we also go to stop and see the Forth Bridge. All this and back in Edinburgh by dinner.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
12 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bus tours from Edimburgh, 2/3 days or 2* 1 day tour?

Thank you all very much.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,906 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bus tours from Edimburgh, 2/3 days or 2* 1 day tour?

Loch Ness is scenic enough, but not a 'must see' - there are many equally or more splendid lochscloser to Edinburgh which don't have the benefit of having invented a monster to promote them.

Edited: 6:39 am, August 05, 2013
California
Level Contributor
462 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bus tours from Edimburgh, 2/3 days or 2* 1 day tour?

Both Rabbie's and Timberbush make sure that you have plenty of time to explore the areas. It's not just a long bus ride. I think it takes about 4+ hours to go from Edinburgh to Inverness. An overnight would give you more time off the bus.

The day trips are usually about 1- 2 hours away, are all unique and allow plenty of to explore interesting places.