We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Edinburgh

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas in Edinburgh

Hiya,we are going Edinburgh for Christmas for the first time this year,we have been a few times before but not at Christmas.We staying at Apex International from 23rd dec to 27th dec.Can any of you lovely people recommend any nice restaurants or pubs we can go for Christmas day lunch,we can have it in the hotel but any other options would be great,Also would we have to book soon rather than wait till we get there ? Also is it usually busy,all the pubs open on Grassmarket ? It's great to see that the Christmas markets are on too,can't wait.

Best wishes Allison

Wol
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
395 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Christmas in Edinburgh

Really?

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Christmas in Edinburgh

Thanks for recommending Prestonfield,looks lovely,we will look into that one,sorry I didn't thank you sooner but we have had a death in the family and not been looking at Trip.

Best wishes Allison x

Harwich, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Christmas in Edinburgh

We spent Christmas in Edinburgh for the first time last year and had Christmas Day dinner in the Albannach pub on the Royal Mile (after attending a lovely service at St Giles Cathedral across the road).

£50 per head for 5 courses, the food was great as was the staff,service and atmosphere. We will be going back this year.

They do not accept bookings until September, where you will pay £5 deposit per person.

Afterwards we had a lovely walk and visited a few pubs on the Royal Mile (all were open), and then the Grassmarket (a couple were open).

Have a great time whatever you do!

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Christmas in Edinburgh

Thanks so much for the info,we have been in the Albannach a few times so its great to know that they do Christmas lunch.great to know a few pubs will be open,we love Royal mile and Grassmarket so will give them a try.

Thank you very much,best wishes

Allison

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Christmas in Edinburgh

Allison,

As said already a selection of pubs and restaurants will be open, not all but a decent selection. Obviously being Christmas Day you are going to pay over the odds for your meal. It depends what you are looking for, the majority of hotels will have a Christmas lunch offer with prices ranging from £50 to up to £100 a head. Some of these will have fantastic, extensive buffets with a carvery so it depends what you are looking for. Personally I'd prefer the homley atmosphere of a nice pub on the Royal Mile but that's just my taste.

If you've any other questions ask away, happy to help.

Source of my info - Hospitality professional having managed large hotels in Edinburgh and around Scotland. I also live in a house just off the Royal Mile.

Source of my info -

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Christmas in Edinburgh

Thanks very much for your reply,we love the atmosphere on Royal mile so it will be a good area for us at Christmas or any other time,can't wait,so looking forward to it.

How lucky are you to live there,it's a wonderful place,we try to get there at least 2 or 3 times per year.

Kind regards Allison

Accrington, United...
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Christmas in Edinburgh

Hi Allison,

I've just booked the Apex International too for the same dates over Christmas on a HB basis. I also have been looking for Christmas Day lunch ideas, I found that One Square (part of the Sharaton) if offering a 4 course lunch for £95pp. I haven't decided yet where to eat but I'm going to research post 1's suggestions first.

Uttoxeter, United...
1 post
Save Reply
18. Re: Christmas in Edinburgh

We are also going to Edinburgh at Christmas and it is our first time. We are also trying to find somewhere for Christmas Lunch, everywhere seems soooo expensive but I understand this, so am not to bothered about paying for somewhere for lunch. I have looked on some websites at the Christmas menu's but I still cant find one I like. Hopefully in a month or two the rest of the pubs and restaurants will have there menus up and we can find one we really like :-) x

Accrington, United...
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Christmas in Edinburgh

Hi Rach,

I know exactly what you mean none of the menus I've seen either very inviting either. We ate out locally on Christmas Day last year and that was £89 pp so I'm willing to pay around the same price as last year. I hope some more places put their menus up soon.

Nichola

20. Re: Christmas in Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 07, 2014