We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Warwick

Singapore
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
Train to Warwick

Hi. How many train companies operate this route? I got into www.eastcoast.co.uk and the train ride from Edinburgh (Waverly Station - Is this the closest to city center?) to Coventry costs GBP550 for our group of 5 one way. Is this reasonable? I cannot find any option on the as suggested in earlier posts for cheaper tickets. Please help. Thanks

Singapore
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Train to Warwick

Thank you All!

How can I tell between the cheap "advance" tickets and the ordinarily priced advance tickets on the east coat webiste? Could you give a range of prices for London->Edinburgh and Edinburgh ->Birmingham?

My interest is Warwick University (part of our college tour), Warwick Castle and Stratford-upon-Avon for Shakespeare Houses and possibly watching one Shakespeare production. Where would you suggest I stay for the night? I am hoping that the train ride from Edinburgh would have as few changes as possible and definitely do not like one involving a change of station. My group comprised 5 of age raging from 12 to 78. I suppose there is discount for children (Is 12 yo still considered a child in UK?) and seniors?

Would it make sense to hire a car from Birmingham to get to these places of interest? I am not sure how convenient public transport is in these cities.

Appreciate your feedback.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Train to Warwick

At the National Rail and operators' sites, the type of ticket is marked by the fare - "Anytime", "Off-Peak", "Advance". Mouse-over those labels to see the detailed conditions and what services the ticket is valid for. Advance tickets are valid on the specific train for which they are issued, only.

Children's fares apply for ages 5 to 15. There is not a standard discount for seniors, but some operators offer special deals on some services. "Railcards" are available for both families and seniors and provide substantial discounts, but you have to pay an up-front fee. The railcards are then valid for one year. The fee isn't enormous (£28 for seniors gets a 1/3 discount) and it can be worth buying them for the discount on just one long journey.

But as there are other packages available, we can't advise what's the best offer. You really need to decide which train you are going to take and then check the operator's site in detail.

I don't like to encourage flying but that may just be a better option for you. Birmingham airport is very close to the Warwick University campus, and it's easy to pick up a hire car there. Driving out of the centre of Birmingham isn't as bad as some UK cities, but it can take a while. There are frequent flights on Flybe, which is a decent low-cost carrier. Getting to the campus by public transport isn't particularly easy. A hire car would provide you with flexibility and open lots of options for places to stay.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,427 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Train to Warwick

Warwick University is actually in Coventry, not Warwick. (The founders thought "Warwick University" sounded better and now there is a lesser-regarded Coventry University as well.) There are buses to the campus from Coventry, but the easiest way from Coventry rail station is by taxi. Warwick Castle *is* in Warwick.

I personally think Stratford-on-Avon is best seen by car because it makes it easier to go to the outlying sights (e.g. Ann Hathaway's cottage).

The centre of Birmingham was destroyed by running motorways through it. This makes it a nightmare for pedestirans and highly unaesthetic, but makes driving much easier than other British cities. The motorways can be crowded, but the signage is pretty good. In your shoes, I would probably get the train from Edinburgh to Birmingham and then hire a car to tour the West Midands to see all the sights on your list.

If you do have a car, you might also consider seeing Tamworth (and Tamworth Castle), Litchfield (which has a lovely cathedral) and some of the other interesting locations of the West Midlands.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,728 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Train to Warwick

With a child in the group it might be worth getting a Family and Friends Railcard.

http://www.familyandfriends-railcard.co.uk/

You don't need to have the Railcard to order Advance tickets, but you must have it to pick up the tickets and travel.

Edited: 9:36 am, May 24, 2013
15. Re: Train to Warwick

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 26, 2014