We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation Help

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation Help

Does anyone know if the following transportation options are available to us during the month of August? We would prefer to leave from Salisbury station in England, but could also leave from Bath or Bristol if we had to. This also applies to air departures (though I'm not sure if flights leave from Bath):

- overnight train to Edinburgh (how long would this take?)

- morning air to Edinburgh (flight - short haul - which airline?)

How far in advance do these options book, and which is preferred? We are short on time and we are hoping to make it to Edinburgh quickly so this is a consideration - it would be great to arrive mid-morning so that we still have time to get our bearings before the lunch hour. Where is the best place (out of those listed in England) to catch the train (or plane)? Does anyone have links to the booking sites for either option?

Thank you -

Mentioned in this post
Salisbury
Salisbury
Wiltshire, UK
England
England
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
England, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation Help

From Salisbury you can drive to Southampton, drop car off there and fly to EDI. Flight costs and schedules on the Southampton airport website.

An alternative would be to go up the previous evening /night by taking a train to London and then the sleeper to Edinburgh. This would have the advantages that its effectively free since the cost is cancelled out by not needing a hotel and the kids would I am sure love it as its very different.

In your position I think I'd probably go for train for those reasons. You book the sleeper train on, I think, scotrail website. I'm sure it's googleable anyway. Make sure whatever hotel you stay in in Edinburgh will take your bags early because you get there very early.

Mentioned in this post
Salisbury
Salisbury
Wiltshire, UK
Southampton
Southampton
Hampshire, UK
Turnhouse Airport
Turnhouse Airport
Edinburgh, UK
London
London
England, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation Help

Just checking out trains now and comparing to the flight option. With your suggestions - it looks like we can:

- return from Wiltshire to London by train (too afraid to drive to the city : ) board the overnight train

- what about taking the train all the way to Inverness, picking up a rental car - check out Inverlochy castle - lunch/boat

- this way we could visit Loch Ness and a few sights on the drive down to Glencoe for our accommodations

- hang out in Glencoe 3 or 4 nights

- travel to Skye for 3 or 4 nights (really having issues with accommodations here - is there another recommended island?)

- head to Edinburgh for a short stay and take a day or two to look around

- from there, drive to the lake district (northern Lake District & Armathwaite Hall)

- drive along Hadrian's Wall and spend time there on the way

- stay a couple of nights at Hadrian's Wall

- return to London via train after doing the car drop

- rest and hang out in London a few nights before flying back overseas

Would this work alright if I can pick up accommodations where I need them? So far all I've been able to book is in Glencoe.

Alternately: fly from Southhampton to Glasgow and pick up car - drive up to Glencoe, cover Loch Ness and Inverlochy on a day trip with some other sites if we don't hit them on route. Same schedule as the rest above.

I had not thought of doing a train before and now I am finding out that Scotland has all these beautiful train routes. Which is the nicest? The train to Mallaig, or from Glasgow to Fort William/Inverness, or Fort William/Inverness area to Edinburgh?

Even if we don't make it back to London to catch the Caledonian, where could we pick up a train excursion on the trip (especially steam) that would provide the best scenic train experience in Scotland?

I even thought of the luxury train (3 or 4 night classic or Western tour) but it is very expensive and availability is uncertain. It would be great if there were other trains that were just as good.

I am also hoping to drive the A82 route taken by Bond in Skyfall (classic Aston Martin...). It would be a shame to miss driving through because we are on a train or we are coming from the wrong direction so it would be good to take that into account as well. Not sure if anyone is a Bond fan, but if anyone knows that road and can think of the best route to take in order to drive into it fro the right direction that would be super.

Mentioned in this post
Wiltshire
Wiltshire
England, UK
London
London
England, UK
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Glencoe
Glencoe
Scottish Highlands, UK
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Lake District
Lake District
Cumbria, UK
Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa
Armathwaite Hall Hotel...
1,800 Reviews
Bassenthwaite, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Mallaig
Mallaig
Lochaber, UK
Fort William
Fort William
Lochaber, UK
Martin's Guest House
Martin's Guest House
274 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation Help

The trains from Glasgow to FW and FW to Mallaig make an excellent way of arriving in SKye. The train from Kyle to Inverness is good but not quite as good. There is also sleeper train which goes from London all the way to Fort WIlliam. Obviously not sleeping all the way ...

scotrail.co.uk/caledoniansleeper/timetables.… Scotrail run the sleepers. Book through them.

http://www.seat61.com/CaledonianSleepers.htm Impartial Advice.

You can hire a car on SKye (you can arrange for a pickup from the ferry), recommended because buses are infrequent. You can't drop off a car hired in Skye elsewhere, because only big companies with offices all over the UK will allow this.

PS Inverness - Glencoe - SKye - Edinburgh takes you on a bit of a circular tour.

Glasgow - Glencoe - FW - Skye - Inverness or its reverse gives you pretty much the same desinations, more easily. And Glasgow and Edinburgh are less than an hour apart.

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Mallaig
Mallaig
Lochaber, UK
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
London
London
England, UK
Fort William
Fort William
Lochaber, UK
Glencoe
Glencoe
Scottish Highlands, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation Help

The trains don't go through Glencoe. They take a route a little more inland via Rannoch Moor. THere's a bus route from FW to Glencoe. Or you could start your car hire at FW.

Mentioned in this post
Glencoe
Glencoe
Scottish Highlands, UK
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,122 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation Help

Hi,

I'm fairly sure another of your questions received many helpful answers about transport from Salisbury/Bristol/London to EDI and GLA. (No airport in Bath)..................

<<< is there another recommended island?) >>>>

There are literally dozens of good islands. EG, Mull, Arran, Islay, Lewis, Orkney, etc, etc. Your issue, as in Edinburgh, will be finding good accommodation at short notice.

My advice is not to worry too much about the scenery - it will be there. But start to nail down ACCOMMODATION as you are going at a very busy time, especially for Edinburgh. (and remote parts of Scotland).

Mentioned in this post
Salisbury
Salisbury
Wiltshire, UK
Bristol
Bristol
England, UK
London
London
England, UK
Turnhouse Airport
Turnhouse Airport
Edinburgh, UK
Isle of Mull
Isle of Mull
The Hebrides, UK
Isle of Arran
Isle of Arran
Scotland, UK
Islay
Islay
The Hebrides, UK
Isle of Lewis
Isle of Lewis
Lewis and Harris, UK
Orkney Islands
Orkney Islands
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
6. Re: Transportation Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 27, 2014