We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lager, Ale, Beer, etc., etc...

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glens Falls, New...
Level Contributor
375 posts
Save Topic
Lager, Ale, Beer, etc., etc...

Okay, I'm a little embarrassed to ask this question, but I have little choice in the matter. When I was a student in Scotland over 20 years ago...as any typical college student, I visited a pub (or local) nearly every day. I ordered MacEwans, Tennants or Skol Lager and occasionally Tartan Special on tap. Thankfully, I never developed the taste for Lager 'n Lime or Currant flavor! Anyway, now as I frequent the various Edinburgh pub websites, I'm finding that the choices are overwhelming. Similar to that of a coffee shop...can I just get a plain old cup of Joe???!! Believe me, I'm going to have lots of fun experimenting the different brews as I wander throughout the Highlands and Outer Hebrides...but, can you suggest a popular, garden-variety lager that I can start off with when I first arrive in your fair city...are the brands I mentioned above still available? I'll take my chances by being called a "wuss", but I just want a half pint of lager that's considered a favorite. Whate is a "heavy" anyway? Hmmm...I'm here at work, it's 9:25 am and I'm craving a beer....not good, or is it!! Thanks for your help!!!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
366 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Lager, Ale, Beer, etc., etc...

Isle of Skye Brewery is good too - but very much a micro brewery so you may not find them down here. Do I dare mention wetherspoons as having a good selection of ales???!!! (*Penguin lowers head in shame and is shot down in flames*). The one on George Street is an old banking hall but it is a chain of pubs so not to everyone's taste. Its often to home to the odd 'colourful' character too. On the other hand if you want to try different beers cheaply its a good start. My other half swears by Caley 80 and IPA!

Inverness, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Lager, Ale, Beer, etc., etc...

>> Do I dare mention wetherspoons as having a good selection of ales???!!! (*Penguin lowers head in shame and is shot down in flames*) <<

Penguin, life your head! I love The Standing Order pub on George Street. Whenever I'm down that way I enjoy sinking a cold pint of Guinness (or three) in there ;-)

(... at home, we are a Tennants household ...)

Inverness, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Lager, Ale, Beer, etc., etc...

>> Penguin, life your head! <<

... or even 'lift your head' ... <geez>

Glens Falls, New...
Level Contributor
375 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Lager, Ale, Beer, etc., etc...

Thanks to all for the great advice. I'm still confused...but I'm sure I'll get sorted out (as you would say) once I set foot in a pub. So many choices, so little time!

Unclegus: Saw you photos on the Prague website. They were great! The pub scene (beer tour) brings back many fond memories of my stay in Scotland. I was scrolling through some of the other photos that were posted...Prague is beautiful city!! I guess I'll have to put that on the "to do" list!!

scotland
Destination Expert
for Kusadasi
Level Contributor
3,089 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Lager, Ale, Beer, etc., etc...

Penguin

Nothing wrong with wetherspoons - easy on the wallet, a steak dinner for £6 and a bottle of wine for the same price, no telly, loud music, or surly teenagers. Very good Wednesday or Thursday night pub. I have had many girly afternooons recovering from shopping in my local wetherspoons. (i hate shopping my friends don't my compensation for keeping them company is sharing a bottle of wine)

scotland
Destination Expert
for Kusadasi
Level Contributor
3,089 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Lager, Ale, Beer, etc., etc...

Jane I am so sorry I just Gazumped your post, excuse my manners.

Glens Falls, New...
Level Contributor
375 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: Lager, Ale, Beer, etc., etc...

That's quite all right! Gazumped...what a great word... I'll have to remember that one!!

28. Re: Lager, Ale, Beer, etc., etc...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, August 13, 2009