We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommend a place to stay in August?

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Recommend a place to stay in August?

Hello!

I'm looking for a place to stay for me and my four young children during the festival from the 8th until the 11th or 12th. My husband will stay part of the time. anyone have any leads? we don't have a huge budget! Maybe up to 300/night but prefer less and definitely prefer walking distance to center of town.

Thanks so much in advance!

Molly

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,076 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommend a place to stay in August?

GBP£300 per night is a good budget, but I would get in quick as hotels sell out in August pretty quickly.

Check Malmaison, Sheraton in Festival Square, Balmoral or The Missoni

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
14,637 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommend a place to stay in August?

Check out the Knight Residence, just at the back of the Castle, they are luxury serviced flats with parking. They are always top of the list on T.A. We always stay there and can highly recommend them. We would not stay anywhere else in Edinburgh.

Edited: 3:09 pm, February 20, 2013
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
622 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommend a place to stay in August?

Since my third kid came along I agree with F-J above. Self catering apartments or serviced apartments are the way to go.

The Knight Residence seem to be one of the best but for August I would book asap. Do a search in TA for serviced or self catering apartments there are some gems out there.

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
8,960 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommend a place to stay in August?

With young children apartments are the way to go as you will have more freedom( and room) to enjoy your holiday.

Edlets have loads of apartments as do other letting agencies

https://www.edlets.com/accommodation/search

- its just about finding the right one for you and your requirements which I'm afraid does involve some searching. We can all be recommending places which turn out to have no availability for your dates so it will involve some work for you.

We have stayed in this flat previously - its not in the centre but its a short bus ride to twon and the stop is RIGHT outside the door!

https:/…5_the_moorings

Regards

Woody x

5. Re: Recommend a place to stay in August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:40 am, September 19, 2013
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
14,637 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommend a place to stay in August?

If the Knight Residence is available I would go for it. The flats which are rated as five star are lovely, with T.V. D.V.D, Stereo (all which will play in the bathroom) Also d.v.d.'s and books are available from small library. Fully fitted kitchen with stocked fridge, dishwasher and washing machine. A really nice touch is there will be bread, butter, spread, milk, cereals, fruit juice, coffee, tea etc., already in the kitchen, which will be great for breakfast when you arrive. There are lists of takeaway places in the kitchen which you can order and it will be brought to your flat. T.V.'s in bedrooms of course and lovely comfortable beds, bathrooms have a nice selection of toiletries. The best thing about the Knight Residence is the Concierge Service. The Staff are the best I have ever known and nothing is too much trouble for them. It's five minutes walk to Princes Street or the Grassmarket. However, this place is extremely popular so do not hang around to book In fact, all places will be busy at this period of time and you may be disappointed not to find somewhere near the town centre if you delay.

Link

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186525-d1914…

Edited: 6:38 am, February 21, 2013
Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,326 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommend a place to stay in August?

These are all very well located apartments http://www.fountaincourtapartments.com/

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
8,960 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommend a place to stay in August?

Looks like The Knight Residence is SO popular they only have a 2 bedroomed apartment and nothing that sleeps 6 according to their website - 5 is the max. number!

OK - Plan B!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
14,637 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommend a place to stay in August?

I would still get in touch with them personally, often worked for us... I am saying nothing more :0)

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommend a place to stay in August?

I don't know if you have already found a place, but I would also recommend getting an apartment near the city centre. There are some lovely apartments on http://www.the-edinburgh-apartment.com -- I believe most of them are still available. As others said, it's a good idea to book early to avoid excessive fees!